A typical treemap produced by SpaceSniffer
|Initial release||April 18, 2009|
184.108.40.206 / October 2, 2016
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Disc space analyser|
Developed by Uderzo Software (run by Umberto Uderzo) in Italy, SpaceSniffer was first released in 2009.
SpaceSniffer comes in a single edition that runs on the Windows operating platform (from Windows 2000). The executable file can be simply copied without requiring any other installation process.
It is free for all uses, but donations are suggested. No source code is available.
Notable features include:
- A treemap represents how disk capacity is allocated.
- Filters (based on file name, age, size, etc.) enable the user to focus the visualisation on files and folders of interest.
- User-chosen colours can be associated to different file types.
- NTFS Alternate Data Streams are supported.
The application has been reviewed favourably by editors and users. PCWorld concluded its review by pronouncing it a “recommended download” and Freewaregenius.com called it “a very well made program that is simple, intuitive, elegant, and very useful”.
Reviewers and users have noted that the treemap presentation “can be a bit overwhelming at times” or “cluttered and more complex than necessary” but concluded that it was “effective”.
- For Windows WinDirStat
- For KDE: KDirStat, which inspired WinDirStat
- For GTK: GdMap
- For Mac OS X: Disk Inventory X
- Lee Matthews (2009-04-23). "Space Sniffer is a drive space analyzer with a dash of eye candy". Download Squad. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Ian Harac (2011-01-31). "SpaceSniffer (editorial review)". PCWorld. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "SpaceSniffer (CNET editors' review)". CNET/Download.com. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "SpaceSniffer: explore a "treemap" representation of your file and folder sizes". freewaregenius.com. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "SpaceSniffer — analyze disk space usage". SnapFiles. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Bernhard. "Background and history". WinDirStat website. Retrieved 1 Apr 2015.
- "KDirStat". Retrieved 1 Apr 2015.
- "Disk Inventory X". Retrieved 1 Apr 2015.
The layout algorithm is based on KDirStat. The idea to develop this program came to me when a fellow of mine showed me his creation WinDirStat.
- Product page on the publisher's web site
|This computer-storage-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|