Spanfeller Media Group
|Headquarters||New York, NY, U.S.|
|Jim Spanfeller, Founder|
Spanfeller Media Group (SMG) is a venture-backed, private, American media company. It was founded in 2010 by Jim Spanfeller, after leading the digital strategy at Forbes.com. Spanfeller Media Group operates two media sites as subject-specific digital destinations, The Daily Meal, dedicated to food and drink, and The Active Times, centered on outdoor sports and an active lifestyle.
Spanfeller Media Group (SMG) was founded in June 2010 by Jim Spanfeller. The concept of SMG was to highlight the content aspect of media and commission its websites to design and produce content by, for and about the web. The websites focus on core mass vertical content areas that do not presently have major dominating content sites.
- The Daily Meal, launched in January 2011
- The Active Times, launched in June 2012
In 2013 SMG secured $5 million in Series C funding led by iNovia Capital, with participation from existing investors. Current investors also include Vantage Point Capital Partners, RRE Ventures, Tribeca Venture Partners (TVP), Softbank Capital, and Lerer Ventures.
SMG’s executive team  comprises Jim Spanfeller, President & CEO; Jeff Bauer, Chief Product Officer; Jacqueline Stone, Senior Vice President, Marketing; Philip Barber, Chief Technology Officer; Sharon Jautz, Vice President, Human Resources. Spanfeller previously served as the President and CEO of Forbes.com, serving on the advisory boards of several early-stage Web start-ups. He has received numerous industry accolades such as the first ever Founders Award from the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) for lifetime achievement. Currently, Spanfeller is Secretary of the Online Publisher’s Association (OPA) and is a Chairman Emeritus of the IAB.
- "Former Forbes.com Publisher Jim Spanfeller Has VC Money; New Sites on the Way". allthingsd.com. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Spanfeller Media Group's Daily Meal 'The Fastest Growing Website of its Kind'". Publishing Executive. August 16, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Keith J. Kelly (June 21, 2012). "Earl 'The Pearl' in gem of a Rodale book deal". New York Post. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Mike Shields (August 10, 2010). "Spanfeller Preps Foodie Launch for Web". AdWeek. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Bill Mickey (February 12, 2013). "Spanfeller Media Lands $5 Million Series C Round". AdWeek. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Spanfeller Media Group". LinkedIn. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Biography: James J. Spanfeller". min. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Crain’s New York, July 28, 2013, Food industry develops taste for tech
- Folio: Mag, February 12, 2013, Spanfeller Media Lands $5 Million Series C Round
- Publishing Executive, August 16, 2012, Spanfeller Media Group's Daily Meal 'The Fastest Growing Website of its Kind'
- Folio: Mag, June 26, 2012, Spanfeller Media Launches Second Website
- New York Post, June 21, 2012, Getting Active
- Adexchanger.com, May 8, 2012, Jim Spanfeller: Publishers Need To Question The Rush To RTB
- Business Insider, August 2, 2011, Ex-Forbes.com CEO’s Spanfeller Media Group Scores $6 Million in Funding
- DigiDay, May 27, 2011, Jim Spanfeller on Publishing in the Social Era
- New York Post, September 15, 2010, Spanfeller Media Dishing Up The Daily Meal
- Paid Content, August 10, 2010, Spanfeller Media Group Names SoftBank’s Perlis Chairman
- AdWeek, August 10, 2010, Spanfeller Preps Foodie Launch for Web
- Social Times, August 10, 2010, Spanfeller Media Group’s First Site to Be Food-Related
- Media Post Raw, August 10, 2010, Spanfeller Media Gets Funding
- Business Insider, August 10, 2010, Former Forbes.com CEO Jim Spanfeller Raises Money for Content Startup
- Business Insider, August 10, 2010, Former Forbes.com CEO Jim Spanfeller Dishes on His Forthcoming Food Website
- Eater National, August 10, 2010, Former Forbes.com Publisher Jim Spanfeller Raises Money for a Food Website
- New York Post, June 30, 2010, New Internet Site Gives Some Thought For Food
- Folio: Mag, June 29, 2010, Spanfeller Nears $2M in Funding for Web Startup
- All Things D, June 29, 2010, Former Forbes.com Publisher Jim Spanfeller Has VC Money; New Sites on the Way