The spotted betta or Java fighting fish (Betta picta) is a species of gourami endemic to Indonesia where it inhabits relatively cool, 22‒25 °C (72‒75 °F), highland streams of Java and Sumatra.   In 1967, D. S. Johnson reported the species to be common in blackwaters of southern Malaya.
Mouthbrooders, spotted bettas spawn en masse when triggered by water changes; this is likely to be an adaptation to reduce the chances, by saturating the environment with young, of individual fry falling prey to predators. This betta spawns readily and prolifically in captivity, producing easily raised fry.  Even though it is easily kept and bred, it is not one of the more popular Betta species among hobbyists, likely because, in the words of one B. picta keeper, "many just can not get excited by watching a drab colored fish that spends most of its time hiding away under the rocks and behind the plants."
Originally described by Valenciennes and assigned to genus Panchax (as P. pictum). Tt was found that Bleeker's Betta trifasciata, described in 1850 and used as the type species of his genus Betta, was identical to P. pictum. As the original type specimens are now lost, H. H. Tan and Kottelat redescribed the species in 1998. 
- Jenkins, A., Kullander, F.F. & Tan, H.H. 2009. Betta picta. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 21 March 2014.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Betta picta" in FishBase. February 2014 version.
- Goldstein, Robert J. (2001). Bettas: Everything about History, Care, Nutrition, Handling, and Behavior. Hauppauge, New York: Barron's Educational Series. ISBN 0-7641-1653-3.
- "Betta picta". International Betta Congress. Retrieved 2006-06-30.
- Johnson, D. S. (1967). "Distributional Patterns of Malayan Freshwater Fish". Ecology. Ecological Society of America. 48 (5): 722‒30. JSTOR 1933729. doi:10.2307/1933729.
- Fernando, Yohan. "Betta picta (Sumatra)". International Betta Congress Species Maintenance Program. Retrieved 2006-06-30.
- Griffin, Gerald (1988). "Betta picta: Not Very Beautiful, But Interesting Nonetheless". International Betta Congress Species Maintenance Program. Retrieved 2006-06-30.
- Tan, H. H. & M. Kottelat (1998). "Redescription of Betta picta (Teleostei: Osphronemidae) and description of B. falx sp. n. from central Sumatra". Revue Suisse de Zoologie. 105 (3): 557‒568.