Spring Creek Fire
|Spring Creek Fire|
The burn scar west of Highway 12.
|Location||Costilla and Huerfano counties, Colorado, United States|
|Date(s)||June 27, 2018– September 10, 2018|
|Burned area||108,045 acres (437 km2)|
|Perpetrator(s)||(alleged) Jesper Joergensen|
The Spring Creek Fire was a wildfire near Fort Garland and La Veta, Colorado in Costilla and Huerfano counties in southern Colorado. The fire burned a total of 108,045 acres (437 square kilometers) and was the third-largest wildfire in Colorado history.
The Spring Creek Fire started on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 near Fort Garland, Colorado. Jesper Jorgenson, 52, a citizen of Denmark and reported by immigration authorities as being in the United States illegally, has been arrested and faces arson charges for allegedly starting the fire. The blaze was declared 100% contained on September 10, 2018. More than 140 structures were destroyed in the fire.
- "Spring Creek Fire". InciWeb. US Forest Service. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Kackley, Tom (2018-09-10). "Spring Fire now officially 100 percent contained". KOAA News 5. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- Paul, Jesse (2018-07-02). "Spring Creek fire suspect reported blaze and had burn marks as he spoke to authorities, arrest documents say". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- Sevits, Kurt (2017-07-04). "Spring Fire now the 3rd largest in Colorado history at more than 94,000 acres". Denver7 & TheDenverChannel.com. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Case, Angela (2018-06-29). "Spring Fire grows to 14,424 acres; Highway 160 closed". KXRM. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Hundreds Evac Ahead of Fast-Moving CO Blaze". Firehouse. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "New Mandatory Evacuations Issued In Spring Fire". 4 CBS Denver. 2018-07-02. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
|This article about disaster management or a disaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|