Spur Steak Ranches
|Public (JSE: SUR)
|Headquarters||Century City, Cape Town, South Africa|
Number of locations
|309 (South Africa)
Pierre van Tonder
|Products||North American cuisine|
|Revenue||R1.256 Billion(FY 2015)|
|R430.18 Million(FY 2015)|
|Profit||R132.28 Million(FY 2013)|
|Subsidiaries||Panarotti’s Pizza Pasta
John Dory's Fish & Grill
|Slogan||A Taste for Life|
Spur Corporation (doing business as Spur Steak Ranches) (JSE: SUR) is a steakhouse franchise restaurant chain originating from South Africa. Its menu mainly features beefburgers, steaks and ribs, but also includes salads, chicken, seafood and vegetarian options. The restaurants also sell a range of sauces and other condiments under its own brand. The head office of Spur Corporation is in Century City, Cape Town.
History and growth
Despite its South African origin, Spur uses Native American themes extensively, both in its marketing and decor. The restaurant brands itself as "the official restaurant of the South African family"; as such, most Spur restaurants include a children's play area.
Since then, Spur has grown into an international restaurant chain with 240 South African and 29 international outlets in 2009, including restaurants in Australia, Botswana, Ireland, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and Zimbabwe.
By 2015 Spur Corporation had a total of 309 outlets globally, with 257 in South Africa and 52 internationally located.
|Brand||Number of outlets in 2013|
|Spur Steak Ranches||267|
|Panarottis Pizza Pasta||61|
|John Dory's Fish & Grill||29|
Panarottis Pizza Pasta
The company also owns the Panarotti’s pizza and pasta restaurant chain. This chain was started in 1990 and has 49 South African and 6 international outlets. In addition, the Spur Group purchased a 60% shareholding in John Dory’s Fish and Grill in 2004. John Dory's is a KwaZulu-Natal-based franchise with 22 outlets.
- "Spur Annual Report 2013" (PDF). Spur Corporation. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Contact Us." Spur Steak Ranches. Retrieved on 10 March 2010.
- About Spur: History
- New Tourism Ventures: An Entrepreneurial and Managerial Approach. p. 77.
- 2009 Annual Results - English version
- Around the World in 80 Dinners: The Ultimate Culinary Adventure - Cheryl Jamison, Bill Jamison. p. 183.
- Spur operational presence, retrieved 14 June 2015
- www.panarottis.co.za/StoreLocator, retrieved 23 July 2010
- www.johndorys.co.za, About Us, retrieved 23 July 2010