|Founder||Charles von Büren|
|Founded at||Neuchâtel, Switzerland|
|Andrea Maggi, Massimo Maggi (CEO)|
Squale is a small Swiss watch brand founded in 1946 by von Büren S.A./Montres, specializing in professional diving watches. Today, Squale is owned by the Maggi Family, who had previously been distributors of von Büren/Squale watches in Italy.
Squale was founded by Charles von Büren in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, in 1946 as a manufacturer of watchcases and other components for other watch brands. Originally, the "Squale" mark appeared on watches as a symbol of the case's origins and pride in its quality.
In 1950, von Büren S.A./Montres began to produce their own range of professional diving watches under the Squale brand name. These watches were not marketed for jewelry shops but rather specialty dive stores.
During the 1960s and 1970s, Squale provided cases for Altanus Genève, Arlon, Potens Prima, Prima Flic, Jean Perret Geneva, Ocean Diver / Blandford, Deman Watch, Margi, Berio, Eagle Star Genève, La Spirotechnique, Wertex, Carlson Tavernier Geneva, and Sinn. Cases designed for 500m water resistance with the crown located at the "4 o'clock" position were sold to Airin, Dodane, Blancpain, Tag Heuer, Doxa, Zeno, and Auricoste. Squale also supplied the parachutists corps "Folgore Brigade" part of the Italian Airforces ("Aeronautica Militare Italiana") and the Italian Navy’s Diving Corps ("Marina Militare Italiana") with timepieces during this period.
In 1974, Squale entered the watch market as an independent entity.
Following the watch industry's "quartz crisis", Squale halted their production of mechanical watches in order to focus on quartz timepieces in 1989. This led to the creation of the "Squale Rambo." Like many watch companies at the time, Squale began to fade from the international watch market.
Name and logo
"Squale", italian synonym for the word "shark", is a watchmaking company, specialized in manufacturing diving watches. Its founder, Charles von Büren created von Büren S.A./Montres in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, in 1946. Squale is now based in Italy and owned by Massimo Maggi. The "von" part of the Squale logo references to the von Büren family and von Büren S.A./Montres.
- Master Collection
- 2002 Collection
- 1521 Collection
- Tiger Collection
- 1545 Collection
- Matic Collection
- Squale Rambo
- Jackie Chan wore a Squale Rambo during the 1987 film Armour of God.
- The 1967 national Cuban Diving Team.
- James Marsden has been seen wearing a Squale 50 Atmos Ref. 1521-026A
- Jacques Mayol broke the world record for breath-hold deep diving on numerous occasions while wearing Squale watches.
- Tony Salvatori, 1967 French champion spearfisher.
- Jean Tapu, world champion diver, 1967.
- Maria "Jolly" Treleani, world record breaking deep diver (triple world champion of apnea, 1965, 1966, and 1967).
- "About Squale" (PDF). squale.ch. Squale. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-06-16. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Gnomon Watches". Gnomon Watches. 2013.
- Heaton, Jason (April 16, 2014). "Blood In The Water, Water In Its Blood: A Brief History of Squale". Hodinkee.
- "About Squale". Squale.ch. Archived from the original on 2018-09-04. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Armour of God (1987)". Watches in Movies.
- Kozar, Peter (April 15, 2016). "SQUALE 50 ATMOS - ORIGINAL DIVER'S WATCH WITH RICH HISTORY". Top Time.
- TLex (2015-03-13). "SQUALE 50 ATMOS spotted in the WILD". Oceanic Time.