|Breeder||E. P. Taylor|
|Owner||General W. Preston Gilbride|
|Trainer||Frank H. Merrill, Jr.|
|Shady Well Stakes (1972)
Fury Stakes (1973)
Canadian Oaks (1973)
Nettie Handicap (1973)
|Canadian Champion Three-Year-Old Filly (1973)|
|Last updated on March 4, 2010|
Bred by E. P. Taylor, Square Angel was sired by 1964 Belmont Stakes winner Quadrangle. Her dam was Nangela, a daughter of Nearctic, the sire of one of the most influential sires in Thoroughbred history, Northern Dancer.
Square Angel was purchased and raced by General W. Preston Gilbride CBE, DSO, CO-N, who entrusted her race conditioning to future Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame trainer Frank Merrill, Jr.  A stakes winner at two, as a three-year-old in 1973, Square Angel won Canada's most important race for fillies of her age group: the Canadian Oaks. In addition to a win in the Fury Stakes and Nettie Handicap she finished first in the Wonder Where Stakes but was disqualified and set back to second. Square Angel's performances earned her Canadian Champion Three-Year-Old Filly honors.
Retired to broodmare duty, Square Angel was the dam of four stakes winners and one additional stakes-placed winner from six foals to race. Among her best offspring were Kamar (b. 1976), a Canadian Champion Three-Year-Old Filly and the 1990 Kentucky Broodmare of the Year, and Love Smitten (b. 1981), whose wins included the Grade 1 Apple Blossom Handicap and the Grade 2 Santa Maria Handicap and who was the dam of Swain. Kamar's daughter, Jood produced Fantastic Light.
- "Square Angel". Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- Bowen, Edward L. (November 2004). Legacies of the Turf: A Century of Great Thoroughbred Breeders. 2. Blood Horse Publications. p. 119. ISBN 978-1581501025. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Frank Merrill, Jr.". Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Progeny". Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database. Retrieved 2014-09-18.
- "Family 14: The Oldfield Mare". Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 2014-09-18.