A Kalamkari artist creating his handicraft
|Description||Dyed hand-painting on a fabric is a unique Srikalahasti style of Kalamkari work|
|Area||Srikalahasti, Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh|
Srikalahasti Kalamkari is a style of Kalamkari work which involves dyed hand-painting of a fabric. It is produced in Srikalahasti of Chittoor district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It was registered as one of the geographical indication from Andhra Pradesh, under handicraft goods by Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
The Srikalahasti style of Kalamkari is one of the two styles of Kalamkari works present in India, with the other being, Machilipatnam style. Kalam in persian language means Pen is used for hand drawing and coloring. The usage of pen involves two types, one for drawing made from bamboo, the other for drawing. The coloring process involves usage of only natural dyes which are extracted from flowers and vegetables. All together the entire process involves seventeen steps like block making, cloth treating, printing, washing etc. The Srikalahasti style is used mostly to narrate the religious myths and epics stories on the fabric and also the saris of this style are most notable for its borders and pallu.
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Traditional Sculpture and Architecture (SVITSA) of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam offers a professional course on Kalamkari painting for developing new artists. The Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board took iniative to promote the historical art, solve the industrial challenges, training skilled human resources and to improve revenue generation through exports.
- "Geographical Indication". The Hans India. 23 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- ":::GIR Search:::". ipindiaservices.gov.in. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "State Wise Registration Details of G.I Applications (15th September, 2003 – Till Date)" (PDF). Geographical Indication Registry. p. 1. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Design Resource – Kalamkari Painting – People and Place". www.dsource.in. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Kalamkari: Craft of the matter". mid-day. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Kalamkari – AP". www.upasana.in. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "The theme of textile: Know about Kalamkari and Muga Silk : Art and Culture". indiatoday.intoday.in. 13 April 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "Kalamkari back in demand". The Hindu. 25 October 2010. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Appala Naidu, T (24 November 2014). "TTD grooms artists in Srikalahasti-Kalamkari style". The Hindu. Pedana (Krishna). Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- Appala Naidu, T (23 June 2015). "Development Board to give a fillip to Kalamkari". The Hindu. Pedana (Krishna). Retrieved 25 January 2016.