St. Mary Catholic High School (Neenah, Wisconsin)
|St. Mary Catholic High School|
1050 Zephyr Drive
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Color(s)||Columbia blue, gold and navy blue|
|Athletics conference||The Big East|
|Mascot||The Zephyr Train|
St. Mary Catholic High School (formerly St. Mary Central High School) is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Fox Crossing, Wisconsin, near Neenah. It operates within the Diocese of Green Bay. It is the only high school in the St. Mary Catholic Schools system (formerly Twin City Catholic Educational System), which also operates three elementary schools and one middle school.
Although there was a school associated with St. Mary Catholic Church in the 1800s, the first high school was opened in 1928 in Menasha. A three-story building, it had a gymnasium, cafeteria, and all the other typical amenities associated with a high school of the day. The wings of the building also housed an elementary school. There were additions to the building in 1952 and 1962. The school stayed open until the spring of 1997 when a new building was erected in the Town of Menasha, now Fox Crossing. Parts of the old high school were demolished to make way for additions to the grade school.
The new building opened in the fall of 1997. It included a classroom-size chapel, three computer work labs, one distance learning lab, several traditional classrooms, a cafeteria with a stage (the cafeteria could be used for plays, with seats replacing the lunch tables) and a significantly larger gymnasium. A few external facilities were added to the school, including the EEEC Energy Center; Jane's Woods, a two-acre wildlife sanctuary; and Zephyr Fields, a new football/soccer stadium, which is now used instead of Nathan Calder Field in Menasha (which is also used by Menasha High School). In 2013 the school completed the construction of the Jane Bergstrom Fine Arts Education Center, which includes a 495-seat performance theater and a 115-seat forensic theater.
The school won several championships during the its association with WISAA (Wisconsin Independent School Athletic Association).[clarification needed] However, in the early 2000s WISAA dissolved and the school entered the Olympian Conference in the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA).
Since their entrance in the WIAA, the school has won the following state titles:
- Division 3 Women's Tennis Singles State Championship (3 times)
- Division 3 Men's Tennis Singles State Championship
- Division 3 Men's Soccer State Championship(Runner-up)
- Division 3 Women's Soccer State Championship
- Division 3 Women's Soccer State Championship (Runner-up)
- Division 3 Men's Baseball State Championship(Runner-up) (3 times)
- Division 3 Men's Baseball State Championship
- Division 4 Women's Basketball State Championship
- Division 4 Women's Basketball State Championship (Runner-up)
The school belongs to St. Mary Catholic Schools, a school system comprising three grade schools, one middle school, and one high school in Neenah/Menasha/Fox Crossing:
- St. Mary Elementary School
- St. Margaret Mary Elementary School
- St. Gabriel Elementary School
- St. Mary Catholic Middle School (formerly Seton Catholic Middle School)
- The schools mascot is the "Zephyr".
- The school colors are Columbia blue and gold.
- The yearbook is the Renard, French for fox.
- The gymnasium's name is the "Ralph 'Cyclone' McClone" gymnasium.
- Until the new building was constructed, the school conducted its graduations in St. Mary's Church.
- The school's enrollment is around 200 students.
Notes and references
- "Institution Summary: St. Mary Catholic High School". AdvancED. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- TCCES. "Twin City Catholic Educational System". Archived from the original on 2007-10-21. Retrieved 2007-05-11.