Šentvid pri Planini
Šentvid pri Planini
Sveti Vid pri Planini (until 1955)
St. Vitus's Parish Church
|• Total||2.64 km2 (1.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||569.4 m (1,868.1 ft)|
Šentvid pri Planini (pronounced [sɛnˈtʋiːt pɾi plaˈniːni] or [sənˈtʋiːt pɾi plaˈniːni]) is a village east of Planina pri Sevnici in the Municipality of Šentjur in eastern Slovenia. The area is part of the historical Styria region. The municipality is now included in the Savinja Statistical Region.
The name of the settlement was changed from Sveti Vid pri Planini (literally, 'Saint Vitus near Planina') to Šentvid pri Planini in 1955. The name was changed on the basis of the 1948 Law on Names of Settlements and Designations of Squares, Streets, and Buildings as part of efforts by Slovenia's postwar communist government to remove religious elements from toponyms.
There are two churches in the settlement. The parish church from which the settlement gets its name is dedicated to Saint Vitus (Slovene: sveti Vid) and belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Celje. It is a 15th-century building with 17th-century additions. A second church, to the west of the settlement core, is dedicated to the Holy Cross. It is a 15th-century building much modified in the 18th century.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Šentjur municipal site
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Premk, F. 2004. Slovenska versko-krščanska terminologija v zemljepisnih imenih in spremembe za čas 1921–1967/68. Besedoslovne lastnosti slovenskega jezika: slovenska zemljepisna imena. Ljubljana: Slavistično društvo Slovenije, pp. 113–132.
- Urbanc, Mimi, & Matej Gabrovec. 2005. Krajevna imena: poligon za dokazovanje moči in odraz lokalne identitete. Geografski vestnik 77(2): 25–43.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference numbers ešd 3474 & 3475
|This article about the Municipality of Šentjur in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|