St James' Church, Burton-in-Kendal
|St James' Church, Burton-in-Kendal|
St James' Church, Burton-in-Kendal, from the northwest
|OS grid reference|
|Website||St James, Burton|
|Heritage designation||Grade I|
|Designated||12 February 1962|
|Materials||Limestone, slate roofs|
|Archdeaconry||Westmorland and Furness|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Graham Burrows|
St James' Church is in the village of Burton-in-Kendal, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Kendal, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with that of Holy Trinity, Holme. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.
The lower part of the tower and the northwest corner of the nave date from the 12th century, and are Norman in style. The north chapel dates from the later part of the 13th century. In the following century the south aisle was built, and the north aisle and south chapel date from the late 15th or the 16th century. In 1844 the chancel and the north chapel were rebuilt, and the clerestory was added. In 1871 the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin carried out further alterations, including the removal of the gallery, adding a north vestry and organ chamber, replacing the seating, remodelling the pulpit, and adding a new font.
St James is constructed in limestone rubble with dressings in sandstone and limestone; it is roofed in slate. The plan consists of a nave with a clerestory, north and south aisles, a south porch, a chancel with north and south chapels, and a west tower. The tower is in three stages with a two-light west window, two-light bell openings, and an embattled parapet. Most of the windows are Perpendicular in style. Inside the church, the pulpit is Jacobean. There is stained glass by Clayton and Bell, H. W. Bryans, Shrigley and Hunt, and by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. Also in the church are carved stone fragments dating from the late 10th or 11th century.
- Grade I listed churches in Cumbria
- List of ecclesiastical works by Paley and Austin
- Media related to St James' Church, Burton-in-Kendal at Wikimedia Commons
- St James, Burton, Church of England, retrieved 17 June 2012
- Historic England, "Church of St James, Burton-in-Kendal (1335703)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 17 June 2012
- Hyde, Matthew; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2010) , Cumbria, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, pp. 208–209, ISBN 978-0-300-12663-1
- Brandwood, Geoff; Austin, Tim; Hughes, John; Price, James (2012), The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin, Swindon: English Heritage, p. 225, ISBN 978-1-84802-049-8