St John the Evangelist's Church, Sandbach Heath
|St John the Evangelist's Church, Sandbach Heath|
St John the Evangelist's Church, Sandbach Heath,
from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Location||Sandbach Heath, Sandbach, Cheshire|
|Website||St John the Evangelist, Sandbach Heath|
|Dedication||Saint John the Evangelist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||3 June 1976|
|Architect(s)||George Gilbert Scott|
|Materials||Stone, slate roofs|
|Parish||St John the Evangelist,
|Vicar(s)||Revd Gill Stanning|
St John the Evangelist's Church is in Sandbach Heath, about 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of Sandbach, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Congleton, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield, and the diocese of Chester. Its benefice is united with those of Christ Church, Wheelock, and St Philip, Hassall Green. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
The church is constructed in yellow stone from Mow Cop with red sandstone dressings, and has Westmorland slate roofs. Its plan is cruciform, consisting of a nave, north and south transepts, a chancel, and a central tower with a spire. The windows contain plate tracery. The interior walls are faced with ashlar, and the capitals are richly carved with foliage. The woodwork in the chancel, including the reredos, was carved by Jessie H. Kennerley. The windows at the east and west ends contain stained glass by Clayton and Bell dating from about 1863. The two-manual pipe organ was built in 1864 by W. Sweetland of Bath.
- St John the Evangelist, Sandbach Heath, Church of England, retrieved 23 March 2012
- Historic England, "Church of St John, Sandbach (1330384)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 23 March 2012
- UK Consumer Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Gregory Clark (2016), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)", MeasuringWorth.com.
- St John the Evangelist, Sandbach Heath, United benefice of Sandbach Heath and Wheelock with Hassall Green, retrieved 23 March 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, pp. 576–577, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Cheshire, Sandbach, St. John the Evangelist (N04397), British Institute of Organ Studies, retrieved 23 March 2012
- WAKEFIELD, GEORGE, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 3 February 2013