St Peter's Church, Fleetwood
St Peter's Church, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||31 March 1978|
Paley and Austin (1883 extension)
St Peter's Church is in the seaside town of Fleetwood, Lancashire, England, situated on the Fylde coast. It is an active Anglican parish church in the Diocese of Blackburn. It was completed in 1841, to a design by Decimus Burton. Burton had been employed by Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood in 1836 to lay out the new planned town of Fleetwood. It is protected as a Grade II listed building.
Fleetwood is a 19th-century planned town, the creation of local landowner and Preston MP, Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood. In 1836, he employed Decimus Burton to lay out the new town. The new parish church was one of the buildings Burton designed. It was built in 1839–41 (Hesketh-Fleetwood laid the foundation stone) and consecrated in 1841. Hesketh-Fleetwood's aunt, Anna-Maria Hesketh of Tulketh Hall, financed the construction of the tower and spire; the spire was taken down in 1904 for safety reasons. In 1883, the east end of the church was altered by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin, who added a chancel, a transeptal chapel and an organ chamber. These alterations cost £3,000 (equivalent to £270,000 in 2015).
St Peter's stands on a raised piece of land in the town centre. Surrounded by an iron palisade, it is constructed of grey rock-faced stone with red sandstone ashlar dressings. The side walls and the tower have lancet windows. The nave is aisleless. Of the church's design, architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner commented "It could be by anybody."
Assessment and administration
- Historic England. "Church of St Peter, Fleetwood (1072393)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- Hartwell & Pevsner (2009), p. 292
- "History of Wyre — Fleetwood", Wyre Borough Council Online, retrieved 17 September 2010
- UK Consumer Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Gregory Clark (2016), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)", MeasuringWorth.com.
- Brandwood et al. 2012, p. 234.
- Porter (1876), pp. 222–23
- "Fleetwood, St Peter", Open Churches Trust, retrieved 17 September 2010
- "Church Details: Fleetwood St Peter", blackburn.anglican.org, Diocese of Blackburn, retrieved 14 September 2011
- Brandwood, Geoff; Austin, Tim; Hughes, John; Price, James (2012), The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin, Swindon: English Heritage, ISBN 978-1-84802-049-8
- Hartwell, Clare; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2009) . Lancashire: North. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-12667-0.
- Porter, John (1876). History of the Fylde of Lancashire. W. Porter. OCLC 12931605.
Media related to St Peter's Church, Fleetwood at Wikimedia Commons