Stanley Smith (rugby league born c. 1910)
Godfrey Phillips cigarette card featuring Stanley Smith
|Full name||Stanley Smith|
Stanley "Stan" Smith was an English professional rugby league footballer of the 1920s, and 1930s playing at representative level for Great Britain, England, English League XIII, and Yorkshire, and at club level for Wakefield Trinity (Heritage № 333), and Leeds, as a wing, i.e. number 2 or 5.
Smith started his career at Wakefield Trinity before transferring to Leeds in January 1930 for a record fee of £1,075, (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £307,200 in 2014). Smith played Left-Wing, i.e. number 5, in Leeds' 2–8 defeat by Hunslet in the Championship Final during the 1937–38 season at Elland Road, Leeds on Saturday 30 April 1938.
Smith retired from first class rugby in January 1940 having played for Leeds for 10 years.
Stan Smith won caps for England while at Leeds in 1931 against Wales, in 1932 against Wales (2 matches), in 1934 against Australia, and France, in 1935 against France, and won caps for Great Britain while at Wakefield in 1929 against Australia, while at Leeds in 1930 against Australia (2 matches), in 1932 against Australia (3 matches), and New Zealand (3 matches), and in 1933 against Australia (2 matches).
Stan Smith played twice for an English rugby league representative XIII against France. Playing at left-wing on both occasions, the first was at Wilderspool Warrington on 17 March 1934 when the English team won 32–16, this game was also the first international match played by the France national rugby league team. The second was at Headingley, Leeds just over a year later, on 6 May 1935 when the English side won 25–18.
Stan Smith won cap(s) for Yorkshire while at Wakefield Trinity.
County Cup Final appearances
During the late 1950/60s there was a rugby league footballer who played for Wakefield Trinity, and Bramley, who was also called Stanley "Stan" Smith. These Stanley "Stan" Smith's are clearly not the same person and they are not related.
- Caplan, Phil; Smith, Peter (2001). 100 greats: Leeds Rugby League Club. Stroud: Tempus. ISBN 978-0-7524-2225-1.
- "Measuring Worth – Relative Value of UK Pounds". Measuring Worth. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "History of Leeds Rugby League Club". britishrugbyleague.blogspot.co.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Stanley Smith to retire". Hull Daily Mail (16,905). 5 January 1940. p. 5.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Frenchmen thrilled by our crowd and scoring". Leeds Mercury (29,428). 19 March 1934. p. 9.
- "Rugby League: England beats France in the international". Sheffield Daily Independent (25,129). 7 May 1935. p. 8.