Type of site
|Owner||Christopher McCann, Brendan McManus via Techstars Central LLC|
Startup Digest is a media company that publishes curated email newsletters on startup events and educational content in more than 300 cities. Startup Digest was founded by Christopher McCann and Brendan McManus in 2009.
After graduating from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with an entrepreneurship degree in June 2009, McCann moved to Silicon Valley to work with Plug and Play Tech Center. McCann didn’t know anyone in the area and started going to tech events to meet people. He began compiling his own personal list of the best events in Silicon Valley and in November 2009, sent this list in an email to 22 friends.
McCann and his roommate, Brendan McManus, co-founded Startup Digest after the first email. Within 90 days, their list grew from 22 people to 12,000. They took $25,000 in initial funding, and by the end of the first year, their list reached 100,000 subscribers. In March 2011, they received an additional $200,000 in funding from the Kauffman Foundation. Currently, Startup Digest has more than 430,000 subscribers.
Startup Digest was acquired by Startup Weekend in October 2012.
Startup Digest is a weekly curated email newsletter. The newsletter contains startup and tech related events in local communities; currently, Startup Digest operates in more than 300 cities all over the world.
- Lapowsky, Issie. The Social Butterfly of Start-ups. Inc Magazine. September 3, 2010.
- About Us Archived 2011-12-21 at the Wayback Machine.. StartupDigest.
- Kessler, Sarah. 6 Ways to Recruit Talent for Startups. Mashable. June 6, 2010.
- Chris McCann – Startup Digest. FounderLY. August 15, 2011.
- Way, Hermione. How to go from one email to 100,000 subscribers: StartupDigest. TheNextWeb. January 25, 2011.
- Saint, Nick. 20 Hot Silicon Valley Startups You Need To Watch. San Francisco Chronicle. April 2, 2010.
- Brusilovsky, Daniel. Startup Digest Launches In Tokyo, Atlanta and Vancouver. The Washington Post. January 4, 2010.
- How StartupDigest Got 100k Email Subscribers in One Year – with Chris McCann. StartupDigest. January 26, 2011.
- Kutz, Erin. StartupDigest Hits Detroit To Generate Buzz on Area Entrepreneur Events. Xconomy. January 3, 2011.
- Siegler, MG. StartupDigest Takes $200,000 To Curate Information For Entrepreneurs. TechCrunch. March 9, 2011.
- StartupDigest. 500startups.