State Central Library, Kerala
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Palayam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
The Library was established in the year A.D. 1829 during the reign of King Swathi Thirunal of Travancore. The work of starting and organising the Library was entrusted to Col. Edward Cadogan, then the British Resident who was the grand son of Sir Hans Sloane, the founder of the British Museum. Col. Cadogan was the first president of the Trivandrum Public Library committee, which managed the affairs of the Library. At that time, only a privileged class who were called to attend the Durbar of His Highness the Maharaja was allowed admission to the Library. The Library was then known as “Trivandrum People’s Library”.
Other landmarks in the history of library are:
- 1898 AD - The assets of Trivandrum People’s Library were transferred to the administrative control of Government and was opened to the public.
- 1900 AD - His Highness Sree Moolam Thirunal constructed the present building for housing the library, which is an architectural beauty in the Gothic style, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.
- 1938 AD - The administration of the Trivandrum Public Library was handed over to University of Travancore (now University of Kerala).
- 1948 - The State Government was directed to take over the administration of the Library from the University by a resolution of the State Legislature.
- 1958 - The Library was declared as the ‘State Central Library’ of Kerala.
- 1988 - The library was given the status of a minor department under the administrative control of Higher Education Department of Government of Kerala.
- 2005 - A New Heritage Model building was constructed within the campus for Children's Library.
- 2007- Online reservation and RF ID facility is introduced
Sections in Library
1. Technical Section
2. Circulation Section (Books & Periodicals)
3. English Section
4. Malayalam Section
5. Tamil / Hindi / Sanskrit / Section
6. Reference Section
7. Children's Section
8. Binding Section
9. Reprographic Section
10. Closed Reference Section
11. Member's Reading Room (For A & B Member's only)
12. General Reading Room (For C & D Member's & Non Member's)
13. Cash Section
14. Administrative Office
15. Internet Browsing Centre
16. Kerala Gazette Section
17. Multimedia Section
18. Digital Library
19. British Library Collection
Library has a digital collection in searchable format of 709 books, in English and Malayalam.
The New Heritage Model building within the campus is devoted for Children's library. A multimedia Section is also functioning in this building.
The library is also conducting a certificate course in Library and information science.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to State Central Library Kerala.|