Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969
|Long title||An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility, and by making other provision in connection with the repeal of those enactments.|
|Citation||1969 c 52|
|Royal Assent||22 October 1969|
|Commencement||1 January 1970|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
It implemented recommendations contained in the first report on statute law revision made by the Law Commission.
- 1 Section 1 - Repeal of enactments
- 2 Section 2 - Advowsons
- 3 Section 3 - Rentcharges, etc. under Copyhold Act 1894
- 4 Section 4 - Savings
- 5 Section 5 - Provisions relating to Northern Ireland
- 6 Section 6 - Application to Channel Island and Isle of Man
- 7 Schedule - Enactments repealed
- 7.1 Part I. Constitutional Enactments
- 7.2 Part II. Ecclesiastical Enactments
- 7.3 Part III. Law of Property Enactments
- 7.4 Part IV. Enactments relating to Sunday Observance
- 7.5 Part V. Hallmarking Enactments
- 7.6 Part VI. Enactments relating to the Commonwealth
- 7.7 Part VII. Miscellaneous Enactments
- 7.8 Part VIII. Acts of the Parliament of Ireland
- 7.9 Part IX. Church Assembly Measures
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Section 1 - Repeal of enactments
Refers to the schedules for the complete list of repealed laws and the extent of repeals.
Section 2 - Advowsons
Section 3 - Rentcharges, etc. under Copyhold Act 1894
Defines the owner's rights for rent charges that survive the repeal of the Copyhold Act 1894.
Section 4 - Savings
Lists specific provisions that survive the repeals of the Sunday Fairs Act 1448, the Clergy Act 1533, the Appointment of Bishops Act 1533, the Ecclesiastical Licences Act 1533, the Suffragan Bishops Act 1534, and selected sections of the Act of Supremacy.
Section 4(3) was repealed by section 6(3) of, and Schedule 2 to, the Church of England (Worship and Doctrine) Measure 1974 (No. 3).
Section 5 - Provisions relating to Northern Ireland
Defines sections and schedules which do not apply to Northern Ireland unless confirmed by its Parliament, and which sections of Irish Church Act 1869 should survive the repeals.
The words "and so much of this Act as repeals the enactments mentioned in Parts III and IV of the Schedule", in section 5(1), were repealed by Group 2 of Part IX of Schedule 1 to the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
The words from "but" onwards in section 5(1), and the words from "and" onwards in section 5(2), were repealed by section 41(1)(a) of, and Part I of Schedule 6 to, the Northern Ireland Constitution Act 1973.
Section 6 - Application to Channel Island and Isle of Man
Defines that only the repeal of Societies (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1940 applies to Channel Islands and Isle of Man.
Schedule - Enactments repealed
Part I. Constitutional Enactments
Part II. Ecclesiastical Enactments
Repeals the Act of Supremacy (1558) except section 8, the Act of Uniformity 1548 except section 7, the Act of Uniformity 1558 except section 13, and various other enactments.
Part III. Law of Property Enactments
Repeals the Copyhold Act 1894 and various other enactments.
Part IV. Enactments relating to Sunday Observance
Repeals the Sunday Fairs Act 1448, the Sunday Observance Acts 1625 and 1677, and various other enactments.
Part V. Hallmarking Enactments
Part VI. Enactments relating to the Commonwealth
Part VII. Miscellaneous Enactments
Part VIII. Acts of the Parliament of Ireland
Part IX. Church Assembly Measures
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 773.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 7(1) of this Act.
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969, section 7(2)
- The Law Commission. Statute Law Revision: First Report. Law Com 22. Cmnd 4052. HMSO. London. May 1969.
- The Statute Law Revision (Isle of Man) Act 1991, sections 1(1) and 2(2) and Schedule 1
- The Interpretation Act 1978, section 4(b)
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969, as amended from the National Archives.
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969, as originally enacted from the National Archives.