Stepań (in Polish)
|• Town Head||Volodymyr Sydorchuk|
|• Total||3.33 km2 (1.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||164 m (538 ft)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code||+380 3655|
Stepan (Ukrainian: Степань; Polish: Stepań; Hebrew: סטפאן) is an urban-type settlement in Sarny Raion (district) of Rivne Oblast (province) in western Ukraine. Its population was 4,073 as of the 2001 Ukrainian Census. Current population: 4,201 (2017 est.)
The first written mention of Stepan dates back to 1290. In 1900, the Jewish population of Stepan totaled 1,854. During the World War II occupation of Ukraine, the Nazi German occupying forces established a Jewish ghetto, where nearly 3000 Jews were killed. In 1960, Stepan acquired the status of an urban-type settlement.
People from Stepan
- Klesiv, the other urban-type settlement in Sarny Raion of Rivne Oblast
- "Stepan (Rivne Oblast, Sarny Raion)". weather.in.ua. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Stepan, Rivne Oblast, Sarny Raion". Regions of Ukraine and their Structure (in Ukrainian). Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Stepan". Castles and Churches of Ukraine (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Stepan, Ukraine". JewishGen. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Stanisław Gabriel Worcell (1799-1857)". Kalendarz Historyczny (in Polish). Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- Media related to Category:Stepań at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Rivne Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|