Stephen J. Cloobeck
|Born||October 26, 1961|
|Residence||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Alma mater||Brandeis University|
|Net worth||$5.5 Billion|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
Stephen J. Cloobeck (born October 26, 1961) is an American businessman and substantial donor to the Democratic Party. He is the founder and former chairman and chief executive officer of the timeshare company Diamond Resorts International.
In April 2007, Cloobeck acquired the publicly traded company Sunterra Corporation and converted it into Diamond Resorts International. He is also the chairman of the board of the US Corporation for Travel Promotion. Cloobeck stepped down as chairman and chief executive officer of Diamond Resorts International when the company was purchased by Apollo Global Management, LLC in June 2016.
Charitable and political activity
Cloobeck was chairman of the board of the Nevada Cancer Institute. In 2012, he endowed the "Stephen J. Cloobeck '83 Endowed Fellowship" at the Brandeis University International Business School. He was a founder of the Brent Shapiro Foundation for Drug Awareness. He has also worked with a number of other charitable and educational groups.
In June 2011, donated $100,000 to Majority PAC, a PAC oriented to promoting Democratic candidates to the U.S. Senate. The donation was sent as a check from "JHJM Nevada I, LLC," which made the source not readily evident.
On June 3, 2016, Cloobeck donated $1,000,000 to Priorities USA Action, a pro-Hillary Clinton PAC.
In January 2017, he explored a plan to run for governor in the state of Nevada, intending to seed his campaign with $5 million of his own money. He told the Las Vegas Review-Journal he was conducting polling exploring a bid. In April 2017, Cloobeck endorsed incumbent U.S. Senator Dean Heller (R) for re-election.
Cloobeck has appeared on the US edition of Undercover Boss twice. Cloobeck first appeared in Season 3, Episode 1 (initially aired January 15, 2012), and again in Season 4, Episode 4 (initially aired November 30, 2012)
On November 7, 2017 Cloobeck appeared on MSNBC and said he told Democratic leaders he would "cut your money off" if they criticize the wealthy, saying: "I've talked to [Representative Chuck] Schumer, I've talked to [Senator Ron] Wyden, I've talked to [Representative Nancy] Pelosi and I've said if you use the term billionaire again, I'm done."
- "Executive Profile Stephen J. Cloobeck Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Diamond Resorts Holdings, LLC". Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Executive Leadership & Staff". The Brand USA.
- "Undercover Boss Features Cloobeck of Diamond Resorts International and Brand USA". Discoveramerica.com. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Chairman of the Corporation for Travel Promotion Introduced President Barack Obama at Bellagio Fundraiser". Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Apollo Global to Buy Diamond Resorts for $2.2 Billion". Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- Executive Profile Stephen J. Cloobeck
- Stephen J. Cloobeck Archived July 16, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Nevada Cancer Institute
- Stephen J. Cloobeck – Golden Nuggets For Diamond Resorts International, by Sharon B. Drechsler-Scott, RRP
- Readers: Help Us Discover a Secret Donor, by Michael Luo, New York Times, February 4, 2012
- "This potential Democratic gubernatorial candidate just endorsed Nevada's GOP senator for re-election". Daily Kos. April 26, 2017.
- WTHR Staff (October 2, 2017). "GoFundMe for Las Vegas victims surpasses $2.2M mark in donations". 13 WTHR Indianapolis. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Levenson, Eric (October 3, 2017). "GoFundMe for Las Vegas victims passes $3 million". CNN. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Martin, Ken (October 3, 2017). "Las Vegas businessman gives $400,000 to aid massacre victims". Fox Business. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- List of Undercover Boss (U.S. TV series) episodes
- "Undercover Boss - CBS.com".
- Levine, Jon (November 7, 2017). "Wealthy Dem Stephen Cloobeck Blasts Party for Attack on Rich: 'Effing Wrong' (Video)". Yahoo!. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Wang, Jennifer. "Timeshare Resort Company Founder, Undercover Boss, Is Big Winner In Apollo's Latest Deal". Forbes. Retrieved September 27, 2019.