|Education||Ph.D. from University of Oklahoma|
|Employer||University of Hawaii|
|Title||Professor of Marketing|
Stephen L. Vargo is a Shidler Distinguished Professor and Professor of Marketing at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa. He has an MS degree in social psychology and a PhD in Marketing. He has held visiting positions at the University of Maryland, College Park the University of California, Riverside, University of Cambridge, the University of Auckland, and Karlstad University. Prior to entering academics, he had a career in entrepreneurial business and has consulted for a variety of major national, regional, and local corporations and governmental agencies.
Vargo’s primary areas of research are marketing theory and thought, service dominant logic (marketing), and consumers’ evaluative reference scales. He has had articles published in the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, the Journal of Service Research, the Journal of Retailing, the Journal of Macromarketing, and other major marketing journals and books, including, The Service Dominant Logic of Marketing: Dialog, Debate, and Directions, and The Sage Handbook on Service-Dominant Logic, which he co-edited and Service-Dominant Logic: Premises, Perspectives, Possibilities, which he coauthored..
Vargo currently serves on the editorial review boards of the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Service Research, the Australasian Marketing Journal, and the Journal of Service Management and Service Science. He has also served as co-editor of a special issue of the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, as well as editor of special issues in other leading journals such as European Journal of Marketing and Marketing Theory and MIS Quarterly.
Vargo has been awarded the Best Article of the Year Award by the Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy, the Harold H. Maynard Award by the American Marketing Association for ‘significant contribution to marketing theory and thought’ and the Sheth Foundation Award for ‘long-term contribution to the field of marketing’. His 2004 article with Robert Lusch in the Journal of Marketing, “Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing,” is the most-cited marketing article published in the last 10 years. Professor Vargo has been named to Clarivate Analytics (previously Thompson Reuters) Web of Science, "Highly Cited Researcher" (top 1%) and "World's Most Influential Scientific Minds list in economics and business annually, since 2014.
- Vargo, Stephen L. and Lusch, Robert F. (2004) ‘Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing’, Journal of Marketing 68 (January): 1 – 17.
- Vargo, Stephen L. and Lusch, Robert F. (2008) “Service-Dominant Logic: Continuing the Evolution,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 36, 1-10.
- Vargo, Stephen L. and Lusch, Robert F. (2011) “It's all B2B…and beyond: Toward a systems perspective of the market,” Industrial Marketing Management 40, 181-187.
- Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2016), “Institutions and Axioms: An Extension and Update Of Service-Dominant Logic,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 44(1), 5-23 (DOI: 10.1007/s11747-015-0456-3)
- Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2019), Sage Handbook of Service-Dominant Logic, London: Sage.