Steve Fox (politician)
|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 36th district
December 3, 2012 – November 30, 2014
|Preceded by||Steve Knight|
|Succeeded by||Tom Lackey|
|Born||January 27, 1953|
Boyle Heights, California
Steve Fox is an American politician and former member of the California State Assembly. A Democrat, Fox represented the 36th district, encompassing parts of the Antelope Valley, Santa Clarita Valley, Kern County and San Bernardino County. Prior to being elected to the state Assembly, he worked as a public school teacher, an attorney, and trustee of Antelope Valley College. Fox formerly served as a governing board member of the Antelope Valley Hospital. Fox ran for Assembly in 2008 as a Republican and lost the Republican primary to Steve Knight, who went on to win the general election. Fox later switched his political affiliation and became a Democrat.
Fox won his seat in 2012 by only 145 votes over his Republican opponent, Lancaster City Councilman Ron Smith. He became the first Democrat to win election to the legislature in the area in 36 years, despite having been outspent in the election by more than 12-to-one. In 2014, Fox sought a second term to the state Assembly, losing to Palmdale City Councilman Tom Lackey by a 60% to 40% margin.
Fox ran again for the state Assembly against Lackey in 2016, however he lost by a slim margin.
2014 California State Assembly
|Democratic||Steve Fox (incumbent)||12,055||32.8|
|Republican||Suzette M. Martinez||3,390||9.2|
|Democratic||Kermit F. Franklin||1,706||4.6|
|Democratic||Steve Fox (incumbent)||27,866||39.8|
|Republican gain from Democratic|
2016 California State Assembly candidacy
|Republican||Tom Lackey (incumbent)||35,019||48.2|
|Democratic||Darren W. Parker||11,236||15.5|
|Democratic||Ollie M. McCaulley||4,891||6.7|
|Republican||Tom Lackey (incumbent)|
Fox and his wife Sharon, a retired school teacher, have been married for 32 years. They have two children, Rebecca Fox, a First 5 Los Angeles organizer, and Joshua Fox, a police officer. They have three grandchildren.
- "Steve Fox wins Assembly seat! Smith seeking recount". Antelope Valley Times. December 2, 2012.
- Van Oot, Torey (December 2, 2012). "Democrat pulls ahead to win Southern California Assembly seat". Capitol Alert. Sacramento Bee.
- Bostwick, Charles F. (December 3, 2012). "Upset for the ages: Fox beats Smith". Antelope Valley Press.
- "CA-Assembly: Democrats win 55th seat, expand supermajority". DailyKos. December 2, 2012.
- "LA Times". touch.latimes.com.
- "UPDATE: November to bring rematch between Lackey, Fox in Assembly race".