This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||March 19, 1970|
Staten Island, New York
|Occupation||Author, Illustrator, Storyteller|
|Alma mater||Pratt Institute|
Steve Light (born March 19, 1970) is an author and illustrator of children's books and a storyteller. He was born in Staten Island NY. He graduated from the Pratt Institute and then studied with David J. Passalcqua. Light started storytelling while teaching at West Side Montessori in Manhattan. At this time he developed his own storytelling device he calls “storyboxes”. “Steve Light’s Storyboxes” debuted at the New York Toy Fair February 2012 by Guidecraft toys. Light published his first book with Abrams Publishing Puss in Boots (2002) and The Shoemaker Extraordinaire (2002).
Upon graduating from the Pratt Institute, Light worked as an illustrator in the corporate world. He created illustrations for companies such as AT&T, Sony Films, Absolut Vodka and the New York Times Book Review. Light has also designed buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He went on to create “Press out and Play” books, a unique building book. Two Hello Kitty and one Uncle Sam books were produced under the “Press out and Play” line.
In 2003 Light made a Touch-and-Feel book of feelings titled I Am Happy published by Candlewick Press.
Light took a break from children’s books to produce his own children’s TV show pilot “Storytime with Steve Light”. When Light returned to publishing he wrote and illustrated Trucks Go with Chronicle Books in 2008 followed by Trains Go in 2012.
Light then returned to Candlewick Press to write and illustrate The Christmas Giant which received a Publisher’s Weekly starred review. His newest book Zephyr Takes Flight Oct. 2012 is also published by Candlewick Press.
Light designed the opening titles for Arian Moayed’s short independent film Overdue.
Light now lives in Manhattan with his wife and cat and when he is not writing or illustrating books he is teaching at Temple Shaaray Tefilla Nursery school in NYC. Light has told stories from his books and storyboxes in the Milwaukee Art Museum as well as many Libraries and schools in the Tri-State Area. Most of Steve Light's ideas come from his drawings which he loves to do and does everyday. Steve Light loves to draw mostly with fountain pens, he loves sharing his passion for these vintage drawing tools with children and adults alike.
- Steve Light’s Storyboxes
- Puss in Boots(Harry N. Abrams, 2002) ISBN 978-0-8109-4368-1
- I Am Happy (Candlewick Press, 2003) ISBN 978-0-7636-1753-0
- Press out and Play - Hello Kitty/Uncle Sam https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0810934981
- The Shoemaker Extraordinaire (Harry N. Abrams, 2003) ISBN 978-0-8109-4236-3
- Trucks Go(Chronicle Books, 2008) ISBN 978-0-8118-6542-5
- The Christmas Giant (Candlewick Press, 2010) ISBN 978-0-7636-4692-9
- Trains Go(Chronicle Books, 2012) ISBN 978-0-8118-7942-2
- Zephyr Takes Flight (Candlewick Press, 2012) ISBN 978-0763656959
- Have You Seen My Dragon? (Candlewick Press, 2014) ISBN 978-0763666484
- Have You Seen My Monster? (Candlewick Press, 2014) ISBN 978-0763675134
- Diggers Go (Chronicle Books, 2013) ISBN 978-1452118642
- Planes Go (Chronicle Books 2014) ISBN 978-1452128993
- Boats Go (Chronicle Books 2015) ISBN 978-1452129006
- Cars Go (Chronicle Books 2016) ISBN 978-1452150673
- Swap! (Candlewick Press, 2016) ISBN 978-0763679903
- The Bunny Burrow Buyer’s Book: A Tale of Rabbit Real Estate (POW!, 2016) ISBN 978-1576877524
- Lucky Lazlo (Candlewick Press, 2016) ISBN 978-0763688257
- Have You Seen My Lunchbox? (Candlewick Press, 2017) ISBN 978-0763690687
- "Steve Light: In the Artist's Studio at Perrot!". Library Events. Perrot Library. Retrieved 4 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hansel & Gretel". Guidecraft - Storytelling - Steve Light. Guidecraft. Retrieved 5 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Puss in Boots". Children's Review. Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved 8 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Steve Light". Amazon.com. Retrieved 5 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Allport, Brandy. "'Trucks Go' has sights, sounds to transport young minds". Lifestyles / Columnists / Brandy Allport. Florida Times-Union; Jacksonville.com. Retrieved 15 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Macpherson, Karen. "Corner: A sleigh-load of great holiday books for kids". scrippsnews. Retrieved 15 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Christmas Giant". Children's Review. Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved 4 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "bios". Steve Light. Candlewick Press. Retrieved 4 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Trains Go". Children's Review. Publisher's Weekly. Retrieved 8 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Trains Go, by Steve Light". 19 New Books for Kids. Daily Candy Kids. Retrieved 8 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)