Steven A. Hill
Steven Arthur Hill
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (BA)|
University of Edinburgh (PhD)
University of Oxford
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Research Councils UK
Higher Education Funding Council for England
|Thesis||The regulation of mitochondrial function during early seedling development in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) (1990)|
|Doctoral advisor||Chris Leaver|
Steven Arthur Hill is Director of Research at Research England, a council of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Hill was educated at the University of Cambridge where he studied the Natural Sciences Tripos. He moved to the University of Edinburgh where he was awarded a PhD in 1990 for research on the regulation on mitochondrial function in Cucumis sativus L. seedlings supervised by Chris Leaver.
Career and research
After various postdoctoral research appointments, Hill served as a Lecturer in the Department of Plant Sciences at the University of Oxford for eight years. He moved into science policy, with two roles at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), focussing on bringing science and research into policy-making. Subsequently, he was appointed head of the strategy unit at Research Councils UK (RCUK), and then took up the post of head of research policy at the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) in 2013.
- ^ "Steven Hill". re.ukri.org. Research England.
- ^ Steven A. Hill publications from Europe PubMed Central
- ^ Steven A. Hill publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ Hill, Steven Arthur (1990). The regulation of mitochondrial function during early seedling development in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/14071. OCLC 606083438. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.652440.
- ^ Hill, S. A.; Grof, C. P. L.; Bryce, J. H.; Leaver, C. J. (1992). "Regulation of Mitochondrial Function and Biogenesis in Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) Cotyledons during Early Seedling Growth". Plant Physiology. 99 (1): 60–66. doi:10.1104/pp.99.1.60. ISSN 0032-0889. PMC 1080406. PMID 16668884.
- ^ Hill, Steven (2015). "Dimensions of quality research". wonkhe.com.
- ^ Hill, Steven (2019). "Writings about research policy, evidence, and other topics". stevenhill.org.uk.
- ^ Hill, Steven A. (2018). "Decoupling the academic book". Learned Publishing. 31: 323–327. doi:10.1002/leap.1201. ISSN 0953-1513.
- ^ Hill, Steven (2016). "Assessing (for) impact: future assessment of the societal impact of research". Palgrave Communications. 2 (1). doi:10.1057/palcomms.2016.73. ISSN 2055-1045.