Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952) is an American science fiction writer.
Barnes has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch. He has also written the episode "Brief Candle" for Stargate SG-1 and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of Its Parts". Barnes's first published piece of fiction, the 1979 novelette "The Locusts", was written with Larry Niven, and was a Hugo Award nominee. Barnes subsequently collaborated with Niven on several other books, including two books with both Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Barnes said he clashed politically with the two conservative writers but enjoyed working with them, calling it "a tremendous learning opportunity".
Early life and education
Barnes, was born on March 1, 1952 in Los Angeles, California. He has had a varied education, including a secondary education at Los Angeles High School. He continued at Pepperdine University, majoring in Communication Arts.
Barnes is also an avid practitioner of martial and physical arts. He began studying in 1969. He is a black belt in Kenpo Karate (BKF style), and Kodokan Judo. He holds an instructor certificate in Wu Ming Ta, and has an instructor candidate ranking in Filipino Kali stick and knife fighting. He is an advanced student in Jun Fan kickboxing (Bruce Lee method under Dan Inosanto), and is an instructor in Wu-style t'ai chi ch'uan under Hawkins Cheung.
He is an intermediate student in self-defense pistol shooting (preferring the Turnipseed modified Weaver method). He holds a brown belt in Shorenji Jiu Jitsu, and intermediate rankings in Tae Kwon Do and Aikido. He completed the Yoga Works basic Hatha Yoga instructor program; is studying Pentjak Silat (an Indonesian fighting system) with Guru Stevan Plinck, and Ashtanga Yoga, an aerobic form of yoga.
- The Dream Park series:
- Dream Park (1981; with Larry Niven)
- The Barsoom Project (1989; with Larry Niven)
- The California Voodoo Game (1992; with Larry Niven)
- The Moon Maze Game (2011; with Larry Niven)
- The Aubry Knight series:
- Street Lethal (1983)
- Gorgon Child (1989)
- Firedance (1993)
- The Heorot series:
- The Insh'Allah series:
- The "Ibandi" series:
- Great Sky Woman (2006)
- Shadow Valley (2009)
- The Tennyson Hardwick Novels:
- Stand-alone novels, screenplays, and other works:
- The Descent of Anansi (1982; with Larry Niven)
- "To See the Invisible Man" (1986; a television script adapting a short story by Robert Silverberg, for the 1980s revival of The Twilight Zone)
- The Kundalini Equation (1986)
- Fusion (1987) (issues #1–5 only)
- Achilles' Choice (1991) (with Larry Niven)
- Blood Brothers (1996)
- Iron Shadows (1997)
- Far Beyond the Stars (1998) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine novelization)
- The Lives of Dax: "The Music Between the Notes" (1999)
- Saturn's Race (2000) (with Larry Niven)
- Charisma (2002)
- The Cestus Deception (2004) (Star Wars novel set in the Clone Wars)
- Assassin and Other Stories (2010), a collection, ISFiC Press
- The Invisible Imam, a novel included in Assassin and Other Stories
- The Seascape Tattoo (2016), with Larry Niven