Bronx, New York
|Current group||New York Theatre Ballet|
Steven Melendez is a classical dancer from the USA. He is a principal artist with the New York Theatre Ballet. Formerly, he was a principal artist with the Estonian National Ballet and a soloist with Ballet Concierto in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Born in The Bronx, New York Melendez began his ballet training at Ballet School New York at the age of 7 when he was rescued from a New York City homeless shelter and enrolled in New York Theatre Ballet's Project LIFT. He is also a graduate of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre
Melendez has performed internationally in works by Antony Tudor, Jose Limon, Agnes deMille, George Balanchine, Sallie Wilson, Frederick Ashton and Richard Alston. In 2011 Melendez premiered Alston's work A Rugged Flourish. In 2008 Melendez premiered Uinuv Kaunitar by Swedish Choreographer Pär Isberg at the Vanemuine Theater. Melendez was a 2012 Clive Barnes Award nominee and was a finalist at the 5th Rudolf Nureyev International Ballet Competition in Budapest, Hungary. In 2013 Melendez spoke on the Dancing Through Life, Living Through Dance symposium as an alumnus of Professional Children's School Melendez performed with The Men Dancers: From the Horse’s Mouth at the 2012 Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival in honor of Ted Shawn
- "Homeless Boy Becomes Rising Ballet Star". August 31, 2004. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Mallozzi, Vincent (June 26, 2009). "Small Steps, Big Dreams". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "New York Theatre Ballet, Dancers". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Schillinger, Liesl (December 14, 2003). "DANCE: THIS WEEK; A Truly Fairy-Tale Prince". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "JKO at ABT Alumni". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Chaves, Katherine (December 4, 2013). "La vida que hay detrás del ballet El Cascanueces". La Nacion. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Macaulay, Alastair (May 15, 2011). "An Accomplished Premiere, Served Along With Other Flourishes". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Hanson, Raimu (October 7, 2008). "Tantsijad kuulutasid oma võimekust vähema säraga". Postimees. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Macaulay, Alastair (December 11, 2012). "Men Add Juice to Sugar Plums". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "5th Rudolf Nureyev IBC, Archives". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Vanemuise puertoricolane sai Ungaris balletiauhinna". Postimees. November 3, 2008. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Dalzell, Jenny. "Dance Magazine". Dancing Through Life. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Jowitt, Deborah. "Men Dancing: Then and Now". Retrieved 27 January 2014.