Type of site
|Funeral services Web site|
|Founded||April 26, 1910|
|Owner||Service Corporation International (SCI)|
|Key people||Thomas J. Crawford (CEO)|
Stewart Enterprises, Inc. was the second largest provider of funeral and cemetery services in the United States. The company is headquartered in Jefferson, Louisiana and employs nearly 5,400 people in 218 funeral homes and 140 cemeteries in 24 states and Puerto Rico. The company is publicly traded and listed on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol STEI. Frank B. Stewart, Jr. serves as chairman of the board. Thomas J. Crawford is president and chief executive officer. Thomas M. Kitchen is senior executive vice president and chief financial officer. In December 2013, SCI completed its previously announced acquisition of Stewart Enterprises.
Stewart Enterprises was founded in New Orleans in 1910 by Albert Stewart, owner of the Acme Realty Company, when his real estate business acquired the three St. Vincent de Paul Cemeteries and the St. Vincent de Paul Marble Shop, a company that built monuments for the cemeteries. Stewart kept both businesses, and they flourished. By 1931, his sons Frank Sr. and Charles incorporated the business as the Acme Marble & Granite Co. In 1949, the company established Lake Lawn Park Cemetery in New Orleans and developed a large perpetual-care community mausoleum with more than 31,000 crypts. In 1969, under the tutelage of President Frank B. Stewart, Jr. (Albert's grandson), the company purchased the adjoining Metairie Cemetery.
In the 1980s, Stewart expanded from its base in Louisiana and Texas to Florida, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia. The company went public in 1991, and, over the next several years, expanded to 30 states and 12 countries. In 1997, the firm announced a partnership with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for the building and construction of funeral homes on nine of the Church's cemeteries and management of preneed sales at 11 cemeteries. Stewart Enterprises celebrated its centennial on April 26, 2010.
Stewart's associated businesses and affiliations include the Acme Mausoleum Corporation in Texas and Louisiana; Tributes.com, an online memorial site; and Investor Trust, Inc. (ITI), a wholly owned, Texas-based investment firm for preneed trust and the company's portfolio. Stewart owns a number of historic cemeteries including Metairie Cemetery (Metairie, La.), Royal Palm Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home (West Palm Beach, Fla.), and Wisconsin Memorial Park (Brookfield, Wis.).
- "Stewart Enterprises, Inc. | Company profile from Hoover's". Hoovers.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Stewart Enterprises, Inc. - Investor Relations". Ir.stei.com. 1991-10-09. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Tulane University Magazine". .tulane.edu. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Metairie Cemetery: An Historical Memoir by Henri A. Gandolfo, pg. 96-97 (Stewart Enterprises, 1981; New Orleans)
- "Business Wire archives, September 1997, page 3 | Find online press releases at". Encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Royal Palm Memorial Gardens, Funeral Home and Crematory West Palm Beach, FL". Royalpalmfuneralhome.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Wisconsin Memorial Park Brookfield, WI". Wisconsinmemorialpark.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.