Stink! is a 2015 American documentary film directed by Jon J. Whelan. The award-winning film explores why there are toxins and carcinogens legally hidden in American consumer products. The film received multiple positive reviews, including the New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Hollywood Reporter, L.A. Times, the Village Voice, and Fortune Magazine. Stink! has appeared in 25 film festivals globally, and won multiple awards including Best Documentary Feature, at several film festivals. Stink! premiered on Netflix on November 1, 2018.
The film has been highly rated by critics collectively, with a rating of 89% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.4 on IMDB. The New York Times called the documentary “sensible and unnerving” and “heartfelt." The Village Voice called Stink!, “Way more emotionally affecting.... than early Michael Moore." Variety wrote that Stink!'s "arguments regarding toxic chemical pollutants found in everyday products are lucid and reasonable to the point of being inarguable… [Stink!] carries with it the unassailable whiff of common sense.” The Boston Globe praised the film, saying, "Whelan’s premise might be the stuff of farce, but what he uncovers is more than just a bad smell."
Stink! was featured on the syndicated television show, The Doctors, in a segment entitled, "Are Stinky Chemicals Making You Sick?. The Doctors invited the three major industry trade associations of which the movie was critical, including the American Chemistry Council, to appear on the show to contest the claims presented in the film. All three organizations declined. The American Chemistry Council issued a statement, saying, “Many critiques of chemicals or products that contain them take an overly simplistic view of chemical safety…"
The film has been shown in 25 film festivals globally and won numerous awards, including best documentary in the Memphis International Film Festival, best environmental film at the Sedona international Film Festival, best environmental feature at the Atlanta International Documentary Film Festival, best documentary at the Carmel International Film Festival, and best of the fest at the First Glance Film Festival.
- Arlene Blum
- Jack Corley
- Richard Denison
- Calvin M. Dooley
- Steve Herman
- Jeffrey Hollender
- Jane Houlihan
- Andy Igrejas
- Steve Israel
- Karuna Jaggar
- Leonard Lance
- Christophe Laudamiel
- Stacy Malkan
- Michael Rayden
- Stephen Rosario
- Gretchen Lee Salter
- Jennifer Sass
- Janice Schakowsky
- Judi Shils
- Leonardo Trasande
- Jody Villecco
- Alexandra Zissu
- "That yucky body spray could actually kill somebody..." The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Jon J. Whelan's 'Stink!' on a crusade to clear the air over lax laws". L.A. Times.
- "How Stinky PJs Launched a Crusade Against the Chemical Industry". Fortune Magazine.
- Coates, Tyler. "What to Stream on Netflix in November 2018". Esquire.com.
- "Stink! Movie". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Stink! Movie". IMDB.
- "A Whiff of Hidden Toxins in 'Stink!'". The New York Times.
- "Gadfly Doc 'Stink!' Asks Why There's Nasty Chemicals in All Our Products". The Village Voice.
- "Jon J. Whelan goes all Michael Moore on the fragrance industry and the harmful chemicals it peddles". Variety.
- "GlobeDocs festival celebrates the Hub of filmmaking". The Boston Globe.
- "Are Stinky Chemicals Making You Sick?". The Doctors.
- "American Chemistry Council Statement" (PDF). The Doctors.
- "2016 DIRECTORS' CHOICE AWARDS". Sedona Film Festival.