Stock Island, Florida
|• Total||2.10 sq mi (5.45 km2)|
|• Land||0.84 sq mi (2.17 km2)|
|• Water||1.27 sq mi (3.28 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||5,641.58/sq mi (2,179.22/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
33040-33041 (Key West)
|GNIS feature ID||1867211|
Stock Island is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community on an island of the same name in Monroe County, Florida, United States. The population of the CDP was 4,722 at the 2020 census, up from 3,919 in 2010. It is located on the portion of the island south of US 1. It is supposedly named for the herds of livestock formerly kept there. Alternatively, some local historians suggest that it may be named for an early settler.
Stock Island is located at (24.570075, -81.737376).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2) are land and 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), or 60.24%, are water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (non-Hispanic)||895||18.95%|
|Hispanic or Latino||2,016||42.69%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 4,722 people, 1,584 households, and 1,081 families residing in the CDP.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,410 people, 1,713 households, and 1,050 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,891.9/km2 (4,919.1/mi2). There were 1,855 housing units at an average density of 795.8/km2 (2,069.2/mi2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 79.95% White, 10.45% African American, 0.36% Native American, 1.09% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 4.76% from other races, and 3.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 43.33% of the population.
There were 1,713 households, out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.5% were married couples living together, 15.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.7% were non-families. 26.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 23.5% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 33.2% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 118.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $31,537, and the median income for a family was $38,029. Males had a median income of $23,714 versus $20,182 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,346. About 19.2% of families and 20.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.9% of those under age 18 and 16.2% of those age 65 or over.
Monroe County School District operates public schools serving Stock Island. Three schools in the City of Key West, Gerald Adams on Stock Island and Horace O'Bryant Middle School and Key West High School, located on Key West Island, serve Stock Island. College of the Florida Keys is located here as well.
About the community
The community tends to be residential in character, rather than the tourist-oriented Key West, with a year-round population. Stock Island has a thriving artist community with specific enclaves that encompass artists/shops. Ten marinas and boat yards on the island are home to live-aboard residents, offer transient slips, charters and water sports activities. There are many restaurants and food trucks, a distillery and two craft breweries.
I Love Stock Island runs a three-day festival in December featuring a lighted boat parade, tours of the island, and culinary contests. They also promote the artist and business community and organize quarterly island-wide clean up days.
- "2022 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 18, 2023.
- "P1. Race – Stock Island CDP, Florida: 2020 DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 18, 2023.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Zoning Map. City of Key West. Accessed September 21, 2008.
- "P1. Race – Stock Island CDP, Florida: 2010 DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 18, 2023.
- http://keys.fiu.edu/gazetteer/00000611.htm "Key Names" Florida Keys Gazetteer
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved January 4, 2022.
- "Horace O'Bryant Middle School". hob.monroe.k12.fl.us. 2006. Archived from the original on September 14, 2008. Retrieved March 27, 2022.
- "KWHS: Home of the Conchs!". December 4, 2008. Archived from the original on December 4, 2008. Retrieved March 27, 2022.
- "Home - I Love Stock Island". Retrieved March 27, 2022.
- "Hiding Out At The Key West Golf Club - Circa The Beaches".