Storms of My Grandchildren
|Author||James E. Hansen|
|Subject||Anthropogenic climate change|
|LC Class||QC981.8.G56 H365 2009|
Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity is climate scientist James Hansen's first book, published by Bloomsbury Press in 2009. The book is about threats to people and habitability for life on earth from global warming.
In the book, Hansen argues that burning of fossil fuels is changing our climate and that the Earth is in "imminent peril". He suggests that millions of species, and humanity itself, are threatened. The title of the book, Storms of My Grandchildren, refers to the ferocious and stormy weather events that will occur next generation if fossil fuel use continues in the way it has.
In Hansen's evaluation, the response of politicians to this crisis has mainly been "greenwashing", where their proposals sound good but amount to little. Hansen says that we immediately need to cut back atmospheric carbon dioxide emissions such that atmospheric concentrations are stabilized at 350 ppm or less, in order to avoid environmental disasters for generations to come. He advocates prompt phaseout of coal plant emissions, plus improved forestry and agricultural practices. Hansen supports a carbon tax returned to citizens as a dividend and rejects cap and trade. He also supports nuclear power and rejects geoengineering.
- Global warming
- An Inconvenient Truth
- Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet
- The Weather of the Future
- The Weather Makers
- Requiem for a Species
- Whole Earth Discipline
- Hansen 2009
- Hansen 2009, p. ix–xii
- Kloor, Keith (26 November 2009). "The eye of the storm". Nature Reports Climate Change (0912): 139. doi:10.1038/climate.2009.124.
- Hansen 2009, pp. 221, 218
- Hansen 2009, pp. 204, 230
- Susan Salter Reynolds (December 27, 2009). "Book Review: Storms of My Grandchildren by James Hansen". Los Angeles Times.
- Kitcher, Philip (4 June 2010). "The Climate Change Debates". Science 328 (5983): 1230–4. doi:10.1126/science.1189312.
- Cooke, Aaron (July 2010). "Review: Storms of My Grandchildren". Cosmos.
- James Hansen. How to Solve the Climate Problem The Nation, December 30, 2009.
- Hansen, J.E. (2009). Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity. New York: Bloomsbury Press. ISBN 978-1-60819-200-7.