Steung Treng Province
Map of Cambodia highlighting Stung Treng
|• Governor||Kol Sam Ol|
|• Total||11,092 km2 (4,283 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 8th|
|• Rank||Ranked 22nd|
|• Density||10/km2 (26/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||Ranked 24th|
|ISO 3166 code||KH-19|
Steung Treng, officially Stung Treng (Khmer: ស្ទឹងត្រែង, IPA: [stɘŋ traeːŋ] "River of Reeds"; Lao: ຊຽງແຕງ Xiang Taeng; Thai: เชียงแตง Chiang Taeng "City of Melons"), is a province (khaet) of Cambodia located in the northeast. It borders the provinces of Ratanakiri to the east, Mondulkiri and Kratie to the south and Kampong Thom and Preah Vihear to the west. Its northern boundary is Cambodia's international border with Laos. The Mekong river crosses the province roughly through the center.
History of Stung Treng
Stung Treng was first a part of the Khmer Empire, then the Lao kingdom of Lan Xang and later the Lao kingdom of Champassack. After the Franco-Siamese war of 1893, Chiang Taeng (Stung Treng) was administered by French Lower Laos from 1893 to 1904. In 1904 French Laos traded the province to the French Protectorate of Cambodia in exchange for Champassak, leaving a small Laotian minority in Cambodia.
Owing to its border location and the forested mountain areas in the northeast of the province, there was much communist guerrilla activity in Stung Treng during Cambodia's recent past. The insurgency lasted from the Vietnamese infiltration in the 1950s until the late Khmer Rouge years.
Stung Treng Province's capital is Stung Treng town.
The province is subdivided into 5 districts.
- 1901 Sesan - សេសាន (Lao: ເຊຊານ)
- 1902 Siem Bouk - សៀមបូក
- 1903 Siem Pang - សៀមប៉ាង (Lao: ແສນປາງ; Thai: แสนปาง, เสียมพัง)
- 1904 Stueng Traeng - ស្ទឹងត្រែង (Lao: ຊຽງແຕງ; Thai: เชียงแตง, สะตึงแตรง)
- 1905 Thala Barivat - ថាឡាបារីវ៉ាត់ (Thai: ธาราบริวัตร)
- Sinn Sisamouth, the "King of Khmer Music"
- "General Population Census of Cambodia 2008 - Provisional population totals" (PDF). National Institute of Statistics, Ministry of Planning. 3 September 2008.
- Lao links to the Khmer revolution