Suddenly It's Magic
|Suddenly It's Magic|
Theatrical movie poster
|Directed by||Rory Quintos|
|Screenplay by||Vanessa Valdez|
|Story by||Rory Quintos|
|Music by||Teressa Barrozo|
|Cinematography||Marcial Tarnate III|
|Edited by||Marya Ignacio|
|Distributed by||Star Cinema (Philippines)
|Box office||PHP 97,196,663
Suddenly It's Magic is a 2012 Filipino-Thai romantic film directed by Filipino film director Rory Quintos, starring Thai actor Mario Maurer and Filipina actress Erich Gonzales. The film is produced by Star Cinema and was released last October 31, 2012, in the Philippines. On March 7, 2013, Baifern Pimchanok confirmed on her Twitter account that the movie will screen in Thailand on March 14, 2013 at the Major Cineplex theater. Following Thailand's premiere of the movie, on March 25, 2013, Cambodia's Legend Cinemas confirmed on their Facebook fanpage of the official screening of the movie in the country on March 28, 2013.
The story depicts two star-crossed lovers: Marcus Hanson (Mario Maurer), a Thai superstar, and Joey Hermosa (Erich Gonzales), a Filipina baker. When Marcus decides to fly to Philippines to escape from his career, he meets Joey. Even though their worlds collide, the two later fall in love. But their relationship is tested by conflicts from their worlds.
Joey Hermosa (Erich Gonzales) and Marcus Hanson (Mario Maurer) only have two things in common. One: they live to make fairy-tale romances happen — Joey through her exquisite wedding cakes; Marcus through the numerous romantic comedies he stars in. Two: their own love stories do not have the fairy-tale happy endings — she was just recently dumped at the altar; he just discovered that his on-screen partner and real-life girlfriend had fallen in love with another man.
Desperate to escape the media frenzy and the intrusive questions of the public about his love life and career, Marcus impulsively decides to go on vacation in the Philippines where he meets Joey who is determined to move forward with her life. Marcus finds himself drawn to Joey’s passion for baking, and rediscovers his love for acting. In love once again, he invites her to join him in Thailand. Joey refuses at first, but she eventually follows him to Bangkok and allows herself to fall in love again. But their love encounters opposition from Marcus’ fans who are desperate to see him reunite with his ex-girlfriend, and from his overprotective mother. Moreover, Joey’s responsibilities back home cause a strain in their relationship. Despite their love for each other, Joey and Marcus begin to question if their dreams are worth sacrificing for holiday romance suddenly turned serious.Then when Marcus got accepted in Hollywood he remembered Joey and went back to the Philippines and surprised her and took a balloon and attached it to a paper that says "Marcus and Joey Forever".
- Mario Maurer as Marcus Hanson
- Erich Gonzales as Josephine "Joey" Hermosa
- Baifern Pimchanok as Sririta Taylor
- Joross Gamboa as Sam
- Cacai Bautista as Marj
- Ces Quesada as Tita Tetz
- Guji Lorenzana as Marvin
- Jestoni Alarcon as Governor Martinez
- Joy Viado† as Jinggay
- Dinkee Doo as Dan
- Dionne Monsanto as Ditas
- Michael Shaowanasai as Peter
- Apasiri Chantrasmi as Mai
- Nana Dakin as Lalita
- Karinyut Jindawat as Mitr
- Jairus Aquino as Young Marcus
- Sharlene San Pedro as Young Joey
The idea of doing the movie is due to the impact of Thai movie Crazy Little Thing Called Love in the Philippines. Thai actor Mario Maurer became popular, resulting to a visit in the Philippines to become an endorser of a clothing brand, Penshoppe. During the visit, he signed a one-movie contract with Star Cinema that was expected to be released in early 2012. It was later confirmed by Maurer on his Fan Meeting that was held at the Philippine International Convention Center. ABS-CBN then released a statement that Erich Gonzales will be Maurer's love interest in the movie entitled Suddenly It's Magic. Gonzales revealed that she studied basic Thai language that she will be using in the movie. On the other hand, Maurer also practiced the Tagalog language. In April 2012, Maurer went back to the Philippines to shoot scenes in Paoay, Ilocos Norte, specifically in the Fort Ilocandia Hotel. In May of the same year, the team went to Bangkok, Thailand to shoot for a month with other Thai actors that were cast in the film. The shooting ended on June 19, 2012. There was an attempt to change the title to I'm in love with a Thai actor; however it did not push through. A cameo role for Pimchanok Luevisadpaibul was also confirmed by PR (official promoter of Maurer in the Philippines).
|November 9–15||United States: Las Vegas, Los Angeles-Cerritos, Los Angeles-North Hollywood, Los Angeles-Orange, Milpitas, San Bruno, San Diego, Union City, Hawaii|
|March 14, 2013||Bangkok, Thailand, Dubbed in Thai|
Awards and nominations
|2013||ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards||Pop Movie||Suddenly It's Magic||Nominated|
|Pop Movie Theme Song||Nominated|
|Pop Screen Kiss||Erich Gonzales and Mario Maurer||Nominated|
|Pop Love Team||Nominated|
- "Suddenly It's Magic - Reviews and Abouts". Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- "Suddenly It's Magic". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Baifern Pimchanok Official Twitter Account. Twitter.com (2013-03-07).
- Find her and Mario Maurer in "Suddenly It's Magic", Filipino-Thai romantic love story. In LEGEND CINEMA 28th March.. Facebook.com (2013-03-25).
- Erich, Maurer meet for movie story conference ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 07-08-2012
- Erich Gonzales gives details about her upcoming movie with Mario Maurer Author: Allan Sancon PEP.ph. Retrieved 08-13-2012
- "Thai superstar Mario Maurer confirms movie with Erich Gonzales". Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "Mario Maurer's First Philippine Produced Film 'Suddenly It's Magic' Premieres October 31". Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "Baifern Pimchanok and Mario Maurer Reunited in Movie 'Suddenly It's Magic'". Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love Philippines
- Thai heartthrob Mario Maurer set to visit Manila for a local endorsement. Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 07-07-2012.
- Mario Maurer to headline Philippine Fashion Week this October. PEP.ph (October 16, 2011). Retrieved October 29, 2011
- Mario Maurer to do a movie with Erich ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 7-08-2012.[clarification needed]
- Mario Maurer meets with Star Cinema executives for a possible movie PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz. (2011-08-08). Retrieved on 2012-01-13.
- Mario Maurer Fan Conference (FanCon) in Manila Announced. Manila Paper Retrieved October 29, 2011
- Erich Gonzales describes her leading man Mario Maurer as a "kid at heart" Author: Rizza Lorraine C. Benedicto Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 07-07-2012.
- Erich Gonzales gives details about her upcoming movie with Mario Maurer Author: Allan Sancon. Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 07-07-2012.
- First look at Star Cinema's upcoming movie "Suddenly It's Magic" PEP.ph Author: Demai G. Sunio-Granali Retrieved 2012-07-19
- Mario Maurer on Erich Gonzales: ‘For me she is not like a woman, she is kind of a man’ PUSH.com.ph. Retrieved 07-08-2012.[clarification needed]
- Erich Gonzales finished shooting in Thailand with Mario Maurer Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 07-07-2012.
- Erich in Thailand for movie shoot with Maurer ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 08-13-2012
- Thai superstar Mario Maurer joins kapamilya stars in Singapore
- "Suddenly It's Magic International Screening Schedule Dates and Venue". Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- Suddenly it's Mario | Wise Kwai's Thai Film Journal. Thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com (2013-03-14).
- Suddenly It's Magic will be shown in Thailand on March 14! มหัศจรรย์รัก กับสิ่งเล็กๆ. Mightymaustrap.blogspot.com (2013-03-09).
- Nominees for ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice released. ABS-CBNnews. October 20, 2013.