Sulabha K. Kulkarni
Sulabha Kashinath Kulkarni
|Born||1 June 1949|
|Alma mater||University of Pune|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune|
Sulabha Kashinath Kulkarni (born 1 June 1949 in Pune, Maharashtra) is an Indian physicist, whose research spans the areas of Nanotechnology, Materials Science, and Surface Science. She is currently a visiting faculty member at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune, India.
Early life and education
Born in 1949, Kulkarni was educated in Pune and earned her Bachelor of Science (1969), Master of Science (1971), and Doctor of Philosophy (1976) in Physics from the University of Pune. From 1976 to1977, she conducted her post-doctoral research on gas/solid interactions using surface science techniques in the Physics Department (E20) at Technical University, Munich, Germany.
Work and career
Kulkarni joined as a faculty member in the Department of Physics at the University of Pune upon her return to India. She continued to research and teach for 32 years, also introducing a course on Nanotechnology at the post-graduate level. In March 2009, she joined the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Pune and continued as a UGC scientist. From 2010 to 2011, she served as Pro Vice Chancellor at the Banasthali University, Rajasthan. She returned to IISER Pune as UGC Professor and is currently a Visiting Faculty at IISER Pune.
Besides nanotechnology, Kulkarni also teaches Condensed Matter Physics, Surface Science, Materials Science, Experimental Methods in Physics, and supervises laboratory courses at the post-graduate level.
She has supervised over 38 Ph.D. students. She was the coordinator of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) Nano Unit at the University of Pune as well at IISER Pune. She has worked at various institutes and universities abroad including Germany, France, Italy, UK, Japan, and South Korea. She has attended many national and international conferences. She is a fellow of the Indian National Academy of Science (Allahabad), Indian Academy of Science (Bengaluru), Indian National Science Academy (New Delhi), Asia Pacific Materials Society (Beijing) and Maharashtra Academy of Sciences (Mumbai). She has been very active in the popularization of science in India.
She has authored over 270 research publications including 120 publications in Nanotechnology in peer-reviewed journals of international repute. Her publications are on metal, semiconductor and oxide nanoparticles, core-shell particles, metallic multilayers, hard coatings, gas-solid interactions, metallic glasses, etc. She has written a popular textbook – "Nanotechnology: Principles and Practices" (English) whose third edition has been co-published with Springer International. Apart from this, she has also authored the books "Carbon: the wonder element" (English) and "Carbon: Ek vismaykarak muldravya" (Marathi) and "Nanoscience and Nanotechnology"(Marathi) and "Nanotechnology of Nature" (Marathi). She has also received an award and recognition from the State Government of Maharashtra. In addition, she has co-authored, "Laboratory Manual in Solid State Physics" for undergraduate students.
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, Asia Pacific Materials Society (2013)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nanophotonics (2011- )
- Fellow (FNA), Indian National Science Academy (New Delhi) (2011- )
- Maharashtra State Award for Book Writing (2009)
- Member, Program Advisory Committee, All India Radio (Akashvani) Pune (2008–2010)
- Executive Council Member, Banasthali Vidyapeeth (2008–2010)
- Bharatiya Stree Shakti "Women and Technological Innovation National Award (2007)
- Lokshikshan Puraskar, Vidya Mahamandal, Pune (2007)
- Member, 'Task Force Committee Nanomedicine’, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi
- Chairperson, Women Scientists Scheme –A, DST, Govt. of India (2007- )
- Hon. Visiting Fellow, Dr. M. S. Patel Trust, UICT, Mumbai, (2007)
- Member, Council & Governing Board, IUAC, N. Delhi, (2007–2010)
- Hon. Fellow, Iranian Nanotechnology Society May (2006)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology (2006- )
- Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) Medal (2005)
- Member, IUC-DAE Consortium Scientific Advisory Committee, (2005–2008)
- Member, National Committee for Utilization of Indus Rings (NCUIR), (2004–2010)
- Member, PAC Condensed Matter, DST, India, (2004–2007)
- UGC-nominated Executive Council Member, Banasthali Vidyapeeth, (2004–2007)
- UGC-nominated Academic Council Member, Cochin University, (2004–2007)
- Fellow (FASc), Indian Academy of Science (Bangalore) (2004– )
- Fellow (FNASc), National Academy of Sciences, India (Allahabad), (2003– )
- Member, Board of Studies, University of Goa (2002–2005)
- Joint Editor, ‘Physics Education’ Journal (2002)
- Accelerator User Committee member of Nuclear Science, Centre, New Delhi, (2001–2003)
- Elected President, Indian Association of Physics Teacher (IAPT), Pune Sub-Regional Council (2000–2003)
- Elected President, Materials Research Society of India, Pune Chapter, (2004–2008)
- Recipient of Volkswagenstiftung Project (2003–2006)
- Recipient Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Germany Book Grant, (2000)
- Recipient of Volkswagenstiftung Project (1999–2001)
- Council Member, Nuclear Science Centre (1998–2000)
- JSPS Visiting Professor, Kyoto University (1996)
- Elected President, IPA Pune Chapter (1996–1998)
- Fellow, Maharashtra Academy of Sciences (1995- )
- Executive Editor, 'Physics Education' Journal (1994- )
- Nationally selected as a UGC scientist (1988)
- Recipient, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (1980)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst Fellow (1977–1978)
- "Bio". www.iiserpune.ac.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-04. Retrieved 2013-09-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Fellow Profile – Kulkarni, Prof. Sulabha Kashinath". Indian Academy of Sciences. Bangalore: Indian Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Nanotechnology: Principles and Practices - Sulabha K. Kulkarni - Springer". springer.com.
- "International Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology - Editorial Board". www.ijnnonline.net.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-15. Retrieved 2016-10-20.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Maharashtra academy of sciences". mahascience.org.