|Years of service||1992–present|
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Major General Susan Kerstin Ridge, CB (born 1962 or 1963) is a senior British Army officer and lawyer. Since September 2015, she has been Director General of the Army Legal Services Branch (DGALS). She is the first woman to hold the rank of major general in the British Army and the first to hold non-honorary general officer rank since World War II.
Early life and education
Ridge was raised in the west of England and educated in Chester, Cheshire. She studied history at Bangor University, graduating in 1984. She then completed a law conversion course at the College of Law, Chester Campus.
In 1989, Ridge qualified as a solicitor after working as an articled clerk, and was admitted to the Law Society of England and Wales. She worked as a lawyer at Swayne Johnson Wright in north Wales from 1986 to 1992, and specialised in real estate law.
Ridge joined the British Army on a short service commission in February 1992. She became a captain in the Army Legal Services Branch of the Adjutant General's Corps, shortly before the Women's Royal Army Corps was dissolved.
Her husband is also an army officer. They have one son.
- "Honorary Fellows 2016". Bangor University. 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- Rayner, Jonathan (11 April 2016). "Interview: Susan Ridge". The Law Society Gazette. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Modern major general". The Law Society Gazette. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "No. 52891". The London Gazette (Supplement). 13 April 1992. p. 6636.
- "No. 54336". The London Gazette. 4 March 1996. p. 3331.
- "No. 56519". The London Gazette (Supplement). 26 March 2002. p. 3736.
- "No. 58752". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 July 2008. p. 9836.
- "No. 60197". The London Gazette (Supplement). 3 July 2012. pp. 12689–12690.
- "No. 61372". The London Gazette (Supplement). 6 October 2015. p. 18566.
- "MAJOR GENERAL SUSAN RIDGE". SSAFA the armed forces charity. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- British Army appoints first female general, The Guardian, 6 July 2015
- British Army appoints first female general, The Telegraph, 6 July 2015
- British Army's first ever female major general 'slightly daunted' after being made the service's chief legal advisor, The Daily Mail, 7 July 2015
- Meet Nicky Moffat, the highest ranked woman in the British army, The Guardian, 11 January 2012
| Director General of the Army Legal Services Branch