|Private limited company|
|Headquarters||Carlton House, New Mills, Derbyshire, United Kingdom|
|Products||Love Hearts, Parma Violets|
Number of employees
Swizzels Matlow also known as just Swizzels is a confectionery manufacturer based in New Mills, Derbyshire, near Stockport in the United Kingdom. The company had revenues of £47 million in 2010/11. It employs around 500 people. Swizzels Matlow exports 20 per cent of its sweets to more than 20 countries, mostly in Europe. Their highest selling brands are Love Hearts, Parma Violets and Drumstick lollies. Its biggest sales period is Halloween.
Operations began in the early 1920s at a market stall in Hackney, London, with Maurice and Alfred Matlow selling jellied sweets. They built a small factory in east London in 1928 and became known as Matlow Brothers, producing jellies and chews. In 1933 the firm merged with a rival factory owner, David Dee, who specialised in fizzy compressed tablet sweets (although the company officially became Swizzels Matlow Ltd only in 1975).
In 1940, the Blitz forced their business to relocate northwards to a disused wick factory in New Mills, Derbyshire, where it remains. Parma Violets were introduced in 1946. Love Hearts were introduced in 1954. Drumsticks were introduced in 1957.
Swizzels Matlow Ltd.'s most popular product is Refreshers. These are flat chewy sweets with sherbet in the middle, available in lemon and strawberry flavours. They are officially named New Refreshers, to avoid trademark confusion with Barratt's compressed tablet Refreshers sweet.
Parma Violets are hard, bi-concave disc-shaped sweets, similar to the Fizzers product from the same company, but without their fizziness. Swizzels Matlow have also released a line of Giant Parma Violets.
The Drumstick sweet is a chewy lolly about 2" (5 cm) in length. It features 2 flavours, milk and raspberry. It has had many special editions, such as the still produced lime and orange flavour.
In 2012 Swizzels Matlow launched a new product in the Drumstick line of sweets called "Drumstick Squashies" – maintaining the same flavours but selling it in a small sweet packet containing multiple foam-like sweets that are 1/3 one flavour(bubblegum) 2/3 another(sugar-coated).
- Double Lollies
- Fruity Pops
- Fun Gums
- Mr Chews
- Rainbow Dust
- Rainbow Drops
- Love Hearts
- Double Dip
- Tango Orange Flavour Chew Bar
- Financial statement of Swizzels Matlow Limited in High Peak
- Manchester Evening News 5 April 2012 Thursday Confectioners are making a lot of lolly
- Manchester Evening News 15 February 2012 Love is working on the production line of romance p7
- Salter, Jessica (19 November 2011). "Dream factory". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Forecourt Trader June 2012 Bag some sales p61
- Swizzels [@SwizzelsMatlow] (4 December 2013). "@wayne24536203 Hi Wayne, thanks for your question. Our ones are called 'New Refreshers' Barratts' Refreshers are just 'Refreshers'" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Swizzel Matlow products Accessed 7 November 2011