Big Bus Sydney
|Parent||Big Bus Tours|
|Founded||23 November 1980|
|Service type||Open top bus Hop-On, Hop-Off|
|Routes||Sydney City & Bondi Beach routes|
|Fleet||15 (October 2020)|
The Sydney Explorer was an Australian open top bus tourist sightseeing service operating in the Sydney central business district and Eastern Suburbs. Nowadays the company is owned by Big Bus Tours and trades as Big Bus Sydney.
On 23 November 1980, the Urban Transit Authority commenced operating the Sydney Explorer looping the Sydney central business district. It was operated with Mercedes-Benz O305 and O405 buses that apart from being painted in red Sydney Explorer livery and having a public address system, were identical to those used in normal service. In 1990, a fleet of six (later increased to eight) Pressed Metal Corporation bodied Mercedes-Benz O405 coaches were introduced.
No buses were included in the sale, with City Sightseeing continuing to operate its existing routes only with its fleet of MCW Metrobuses. From May 2012 new Anhui Ankai buses were introduced on these routes. Operations initially operated under the City Sightseeing brand, before the Big Bus Sydney name was introduced in 2016.
When Ensignbus sold the City Sightseeing business in 2011, it retained ownership of the Sydney operation. In 2016, Sydney Explorer relinquished its City Sightseeing franchise and became a Big Bus Tours affiliate.
Big Bus Sydney offers 4 tickets:
- Classic: valid for 24hrs
- Premium: valid for 48hrs
- Deluxe: 48hr ticket + Captain Cook 1-day Hop On Hop Off cruise
- Deluxe Plus: 48hr ticket + Captain Cook 1-day Hop On Hop Off cruise + Sea Life Aquarium, Sydney Wild Life Zoo, Sydney Tower Eye, Madame Tussauds Museum.
- Big Bus Sydney
- Travers, Greg (1982). From City to Suburb...a fifty year journey. Sydney: Historic Commercial Vehicle Association. p. 201. ISBN 0959601627.
- "Bondi and Bay Explorer" Fleetline issue 257 November 1998 page 202
- Changes to Explorer services and SydneyPass tickets from Sunday 28 November Sydney Buses November 2010
- City Sightseeing Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- City Sightseeing TV 7052 Bus Australia Photo Gallery
- Bus Tours from Sydney Explorer Big Bus Tours
- Hop-On, Hop-Off City Tour Big Bus Sydney
- Service Information Big Bus Sydney
- "Sydney Pass good way to explore city; can't inherit frequent-flier miles" Daily Breeze 2 October 2005 page B7
- "For a fun thing to do, see Sydney Explorer" The Mosman Daily 20 September 2007 page 27