This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Entertainment robot |
|Founder||Ho Vinh Hoang|
Vietnam (2004-present) |
TOSY is a Vietnamese robots manufacturer which is based in Hanoi, Vietnam. The company specializes in designing and manufacturing robots and smart toys. Its current commercial products are DiscoRobo, TOOP and AFO.
Technology – Originality – Satisfaction – Yearning
- 2004 / Sep: TOSY was founded.
- 2005 / Jan: Started developing TOPIO – a humanoid robot – that can play ping pong.
- 2006 / Apr: Opened its first factory in An Khanh Industrial Zone.
- 2007 / Nov: Made its first international appearance in IREX (International Robot Exhibition) – world's largest robot trade fair – held in Tokyo, Japan and introduced TOPIO 1.0.
Feb: TOPIO 2.0 made an impression at Spielwarenmesse Toy Trade Fair – world’s largest toy trade fair – held at Nuremberg, Germany; also introduced other smart toys like: BallRobo, TyreRobo & AFO.
Sep: Opened its second factory at Cau Giay Industrial Zone.
Nov: Made its second appearance at IREX Robot Trade Fair.
Feb: Made its second appearance at Spielwarenmesse Toy Trade Fair.
Jun: Attended Automatica – world’s largest automation trade fair – held in Munich, Germany to introduce 3 industrial robots: Parallel Robot, Scara Robot & Arm Robot.
Jan: Made its first appearance at Hong Kong Toys & Games Fair – Asia's largest toy trade fair.
Feb: Made its third appearance at Spielwarenmesse Toy Trade Fair.
Made its first appearance at New York Toy Fair – world’s third largest toy trade fair – held in New York, US to introduce TOOP.
Jul: TOOP was awarded by Guinness World Records as “The world’s longest-running mechanical spinning top”.
Jan: Introduced mRobo 1.0 at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) – world’s largest electronics & technology trade fair – held in Las Vegas, US. Worldwide music pop star Justin Bieber was invited by TOSY to come and promote for the robot.
Feb: Made its fourth appearance at Spielwarenmesse Toy Trade Fair.
Made its second appearance at New York Toy Fair.
Oct: Made its second appearance at Hong Kong Toys & Games Fair.
Made its first appearance at CEATEC (Combined Exhibition of Advanced Technologies).
Jan: Dancer/choreographer Derek Hough, three-times winner of Dancing with the Stars, attended this CES Trade Fair to promote for the mRobo 2.0.
Jul: Made its first appearance at IFA (Internationale Funkausstellung Berlin) – one of Europe’s most popular industrial exhibitions – held in Berlin, Germany.
Oct: Made its third appearance at New York Toy Fair to introduce DiscoRobo.
Jun: Moved to the new office headquarter at Thanh Xuan District, Hanoi.
Oct: Made its third appearance at Hong Kong Toys & Games Fair.
Dec: Launched the new version DiscoRobo 2.0.
It has been known that ping pong is interesting to roboticists because it requires understanding of dynamic environments, accurate real-time vision, fast actuation and intelligence to play the game with a winning strategy. TOPIO is a humanoid robot that can play one-on-one ping pong with humans. It was first introduced in IREX – world's largest robot trade fair – held in Tokyo, Japan in November 28, 2007. While TOPIO 1.0 runs on water power, measures 1,8m, weighs 500 kg, has 6 legs and cannot move, TOPIO 2.0 is 2,1m but only weighs 60 kg, has 2 legs and can move. As it is considered a much more advanced version compared to the former one, TOPIO 2.0 has 28 DoFs and runs on electricity. Its ability to move, dance and play ping pong is based on modules such as high-speed image sensor, artificial neural network, movement controller, etc. The newest TOPIO 3.0 is as tall as 1,88m and weighs 120 kg with 32 DoFs.
The biggest challenge in designing TOPIO 3.0 is to fulfill 2 requirements: to be able to move & to play ping pong. In robotics engineering, it is not an easy task to combine these two factors. Nevertheless, TOPIO has undergone a thorough research and development procedure so that it could move fluently in 2 foot.
Ho Vinh Hoang, the CEO and Chief Designer of the TOPIO project, stated that "the robot is getting special attention from experts and exhibition visitors, particularly major international technology companies and the mass media".
SketRobo is a humanoid robot that can draw over 200 pre-loaded images, using a hand-held pen and a sheet of paper clipped to a table in front of it. At the moment, SketRobo’s drawing ability is still limited; however, in the future, TOSY will equip the robot with facial recognition system and motion detection so as the robot can sketch the faces of real people. TOSY also aims to use SketRobo to help children learn how to draw.
TOPIO Dio is a humanoid robot that measures 125 cm tall and weighs 45 kg, where it features 28 DoFs, a trio of wheels, a built-in camera, a sensor that helps it avoid obstacles and a Wi-Fi control capability. TOSY says that the robot is mainly aimed at the “hospitality and restaurant” industries.
DiscoRobo is a "dancing" robot.
Similar to the traditional top game of Vietnamese children, TOOP is a modern spinning top that runs on 3A battery with non-stop motorized spinning. With a controlling stick, players can create their own game strategy and control the tops to compete with others on the arena battle set. In 2011 July 7, TOOP was awarded by Guinness World Records as “The world’s longest-running mechanical spinning top”. With its record of spinning for 24 hours 35 minutes and 15 seconds.
Certification from Guinness World Records
In 2010 Automatica Exhibition held in Munich, TOSY introduced 3 industrial robots: Arm Robot, Parallel Robot & Scara Robot. Arm Robot is an interactive automatic device that can solder, paint, assemble, move boxes or pallets, etc. Scara Robot and Parallel Robot are able to execute production on fast-moving conveyors. These 3 robots have accuracy measurement of 0,1mm, work range of 0,6-2m and work load of 1–30 kg. To minimize production cost, TOSY has self-created the entire components of its industrial robots like engine, reducer, electrical network, automatic control,…
BallRobo and TyreRobo are robots that can freely move in all directions and are controlled by a remote control. These 2 robots have been registered for patent for its special mechanical engineering that helps them move on different topographics: sand, snow, water, etc.
- Best Toy Award – AFO, Good Housekeeping, 2011
- Top Tech Toy – AFO, The Street, 2011
- Guinness World Records – TOOP, 2011
- Great Toy of the Year – TOOP, Good Housekeeping, 2012
- Best of Toy Fair – DiscoRobo, Popular Science, 2012
- Space Age Award for Best High-tech Toy – SketRobo, 2012
- Top Product at New York Toy Fair – SketRobo, Mashable, 2012
- Best of CES – mRobo, The Washington Post, 2012
- Best of CES – mRobo, The Huffington Post, 2012
- Ping Pong Playing Robots, updated 6/11/2008
- CJustin Bieber: Spokesman for Vietnamese toy robots?, updated 1/5/2012
- Justin Bieber. A dancing robot. CES 2012., updated 1/11/2012
- mRobo dancing to michael jackson at ceatec 2012, updated 10/4/2012
- mRobo shows off dance moves that far surpass my own (video), updated 11/1/2013
- Best toys and gadgets from IFA 2012, updated 9/3/2012
- Vietnamese-made toy robot hits local shelves, updated 8/13/2013
- CES 2012: Tosy’s mRobo ‘Bieberbot’, 3D Systems Cube printer, Yurbud custom earbuds, Razer gaming tablet turn heads, updated 1/12/2012
- Play ping-pong or feed the baby at Tokyo robot fair, updated 11/29/2007
- Topio The Ping Pong Playing Robot, updated 1/22/2009
- I, the Ping-Pong Robot!, updated 12/5/2007
- TOSY set to release dancing and sketching robots, updated 9/5/2012
- Topio Dio serves up drinks at bar, updated 6/21/2010
- TOPIO Dio: The Skillful Waiter & Bartender, updated 6/18/2010
- Tosy DiscoRobo dancing robot is no legend, updated 10/1/2012
- Longest Running Mechanical Spinning Top, updated 2/25/2015
- 'Đĩa bay' trên bầu trời Hà Nội, updated 12/23/2008
- Ấn tượng với cuộc thi “Sáng tạo với đồ chơi TOSY 2011”, updated 9/1/2011
- TOSY: Tặng đĩa bay đồ chơi cho trẻ em trong dịp trung thu, updated 9/17/2010
- TOSY: Triển lãm thành công tại IREX 2009, updated 11/28/2009
- Good Housekeeping's Best Toy Awards 2011, updated 2/25/2015
- Top Tech Toys for 2011, updated 2/15/2011
- Great Toys for 2012, updated 2/25/2015
- POPSCI'S ultimate robot dance-off, updated 2/16/2012
- Best of Toy Fair 2012: SPACE.com's Space Age Awards Winners, updated 2/15/2012
- Top 12 New Toys at Toy Fair That Make You Want to Be a Kid Again, updated 2/15/2012
- CES 2012: Tosy’s mRobo ‘Bieberbot’, 3D Systems Cube printer, Yurbud custom earbuds, Razer gaming tablet turn heads, updated 1/13/2012
- The Best Of CES 2012: 9 Gadgets For Music Lovers, updated 1/12/2012