Tabla Beat Science
Tabla Beat Science was a musical group founded in 1999 by Zakir Hussain and Bill Laswell. Its style consists of a mixture of Hindustani music, Asian Underground, ambient music, drum and bass and electronica. In 2001 Karsh Kale was approached by super producer Bill Laswell to contribute to a project he was calling “Tabla Beat Science”. The album would feature the leading tabla artists who were taking the instrument into modern and exciting new contexts. Kale joined Laswell, Zakir Hussain, Trilok Gurtu and Talvin Singh to create “Tala Matrix” which is considered to be one of the greatest modern explorations of tabla fusion in recent years. All members would contribute music to the project. The project eventually evolved into a live band featuring Kale on drums and electric tabla, Zakir Hussain on acoustic tabla, Bill Laswell on bass, Ustad Sultan Khan on Sarangi and DJ Disk – turntables. Tabla Beat Science went on to tour the world from their debut at the 16,000 strong Stern Grove concert, which eventually became a 2 disc live release on Palm Pictures. Other stops included Dubai, Beirut, LA, Tokyo, London’s Barbican Center, and finally at the 2nd annual Barsi concert in Mumbai honoring the death anniversary of Hussain’s famous father Ustad Allah Rakha. Tabla Beat Science also had many guest artists joining their electric live concerts including Pt Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Ganesh Iyer, Salim Merchant (Salim Suleman) and the Midival Punditz.
- Zakir Hussain is a classical musician and accompanist.
- Trilok Gurtu is an Indian percussionist.
- Talvin Singh is an Asian Underground artist.
- Bill Laswell is a bassist, producer, and composer.
- Ustad Sultan Khan plays the sarangi.
- Fabian Alsultany aka Sultan 32 plays Keyboards and electronics.
- Karsh Kale plays tabla and drum kit.
- DJ Disk plays turntable.
- Tala Matrix (Axiom, 2000)
- Live in San Francisco at Stern Grove (Axiom, 2002)
- Talamanam Sound Clash: Further Adventures in Hypercussion (DVD) (Axiom, 2003)
|This article on a United States experimental music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|