Take Me Up to the Ball Game
- This article is about a television special. Distinguish the name from "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", a well-known baseball song.
|Take Me Up to the Ball Game|
|Screenplay by||Ken Sobol|
|Directed by||Ken Stephenson|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Distributor||Warner Home Video (VHS, 1980s)|
|Original release||September 18, 1980|
|Preceded by||Easter Fever (1980)|
A children's baseball team (consisting of anthropomorphic animals) encounters a talent scout from outer space named Irwin (voiced by Phil Silvers), who offers them the chance to play against a team from another planet. They later discover that they're playing in a championship game, and that the opposing team has never been defeated because making up one's own rules — which Earthlings call "cheating" — is a common practice in interplanetary baseball.
During the first few innings, the Earth team is not doing well against their opponents, and some of the players suggest that they should cheat as well; the team's leader, however, insists that it would be wrong because "cheaters never prosper" (an assertion that provokes laughter from the entire stadium).
The Earth players start anticipating their opponents' tricks and countering them without breaking the rules; the spectators are thrilled by this unexpected turn of events, and the Home Team actually enjoys having a genuine challenge to face despite the fact that the Earthlings are now winning. Irwin, who'd bet heavily against the Earth team, tries to put the odds back in his favor by entering the game himself, but it's no use; the Earthlings win the game.
- Hey Kids, in which Irwin is talking the Earth team into playing against the alien team.
- We'll Find a Way, during which the Earth team is being badly beaten by their opponents.
- Cheaters Never Prosper, during which the Earth team is making a comeback.
- Take Me Up to the Ball Game at the Internet Movie Database
- Take Me Up to the Ball Game at The Big Cartoon DataBase
|This animated film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Canadian TV movie is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports-related film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|