Talk:Mammoth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
February 27, 2006WikiProject peer reviewReviewed

Cryptozoology[edit]

I added some new stuff to the cryptozoology section. (Danielos2). 18 feb 2006.

Better illustration needed[edit]

Modern illustration would be better, as details of mammoth apperance are not widely known.

Also, there should be links to recent sequence of nuclear genes, and late survival in Urals/Siberia.

A query[edit]

  • Mammoth#Mammoth-elephant hybrid says "The outcome would be an elephant-mammoth hybrid with no more than 1% mammoth genes.". But it says that 99% of the DNA is the same in elephant and mammoth, and, if so, that that 99% is elephant DNA and at the same time it is mammoth DNA. And replacing the other 1% would make a complete mammoth. Anthony Appleyard (talk) 17:57, 2 November 2019 (UTC)
  • They share 99%, and 1% is uniquely mammoth. However, the genome in elephants is distributed in 56 chromosomes (54 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes), while in a mammoth there were distributed in 58 (56 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes). Rowan Forest (talk) 18:06, 2 November 2019 (UTC)

Hunting pit[edit]

Not sure if we can use this information: "Mexican mammoth trap provides first evidence of prehistoric hunting pits." A factoid or relevant? Cheers, Rowan Forest (talk) 23:32, 7 November 2019 (UTC)