Talk:Ard (plough)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Agriculture (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Agriculture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of agriculture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Merge of Ard and Scratch-plough[edit]

Yes. They appear to be the same thing, and in fact the scratch-plough article is so extremely short that all we really need is to change that to a redirect. --Richard New Forest (talk) 10:52, 10 June 2008 (UTC)


Is this the one used in the video featured in the side? If so, the video can be added to the article. -- Sundar \talk \contribs 11:27, 19 November 2008 (UTC)

No, that's not a plough at all, it's some kind of harrow. There is a horizontal, side-to-side beam on the ground behind the animals (the chap stands on it at one point) – it's much wider than the oxen. This thing must either be a plain beam, or have some kind of spikes beneath – it has no handle (what he is holding is just the reins). A plough must have a handle of some kind to guide it, and the plough itself would be a relatively narrow object just behind and between the oxen. Richard New Forest (talk) 14:11, 19 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice the beam earlier. I've seen the same assembly minus the beam, but with a deep cutting implement (all wooden) used for ploughing. I got confused with that. -- Sundar \talk \contribs 06:59, 20 November 2008 (UTC)
Your deep cutting implement does sound like an ard. It would have a similar pole to attach it to the yoke. Richard New Forest (talk) 09:01, 20 November 2008 (UTC)