Talk:Bishop of Bath and Wells
|WikiProject Somerset||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
what's so funny?
I'd rather like to see a section "Fictional Bishops of Bath and Wells" or the like, to explain why the office is mentioned in Monty Python's Flying Circus (episode 29), Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album and Blackadder II. —Tamfang 22:27, 11 February 2006 (UTC)
- In Blackadder, he's a sex-crazed sadist. In Monty Python, he's used a few times as a generic bishop ("There's a dead bishop on the landing! Another one? Yes, I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. What diocese? Looks a bit Bath and Wellsish.") He also makes an appearance in the BBC radio series Absolute Power, where he consults a public relations firm on relaunching the Church of England. (Both Blackadder and Absolute Power feature, though are not written by, Stephen Fry). Rsynnott 21:56, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
- The Bishop of Bath and Wells on Blackadder also eats babies. JHobson3 (talk) 13:41, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
Robert Eden, 3rd Baron Auckland
What is the official style for bishops who are also peers in wikitables? It'd like to know which specific wikipedia guideline states that they should be styled "The Lord Somewhere". Robert Eden, 3rd Baron Auckland was Bishop of Bath and Wells from 1854 to 1869 and so should be listed in the table of bishops as "The Rt Hon Robert Eden, 3rd Baron Auckland". Crockford's Clerical Directory's Historical successions list him as "Robert John Eden, Lord Auckland" not simply "The Lord Auckland". British History Online's Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, 1541–1857, Bishops of Bath and Wells list him as "Robert John Eden, 3rd Baron Auckland". Those and other sources show his full name and title. I don't see any reason why Wikipedia shouldn't show the full name and title. -- Scrivener-uki (talk) 20:07, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Bishop of Bath and Wells. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20111006183341/http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk:80/chartwww/Bishops/sees/wells.html to http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/chartwww/Bishops/sees/wells.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.