|WikiProject Clans of Scotland||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
Chief of Clan Sutherland
Who is the authentic chief of Clan Sutherland? Scottish clans have usually adopted the principle of agnatic seniority in terms of selecting a chief. Who is the legitimate Chief? The Sutherland Chiefs of Duffus and Forse are supposedly extinct, but then there are the descendants of Alexander Sutherland of Beridale, the natural son of Earl John (whose daughter, Countess Elizabeth, married the younger son of the Gordon Chief, Adam). The acknowledged Chief was then then William Sutherland of Killipheder then Sutherland of Fors (sic). The current "Chief" is merely a descendant of the Countess. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 21:52, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- A good reference to the Sutherland tree is-
- The Scots peerage: founded on Wood's ed. of Sir Robert Douglas's Peerage of Scotland; containing an historical and genealogical account of the nobility of that kingdom; vol VIII; p. 318-365; by Paul, James Balfour, Sir, 1846-1931; Edinburgh: D. Douglas
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Clan Sutherland. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20121027114542/http://scotwars.com/battle_of_carbisdale.htm to http://www.scotwars.com/battle_of_carbisdale.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.