|WikiProject Ports||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
Samson and Goliath?
Samson and Goliath look very nice, rather like the big gantry crane that ornamented Port Glasgow till fairly recently, but they don't look like Portainer cranes to me, so should probably not feature on this page. ..dave souza, talk 11:46, 28 September 2006 (UTC)
Need separate page for gantry crane
A Portainer is just one type of gantry crane, which is a general term for a crane with side supports and an overhead rail. Often the hoist assembly moves along the rail. Deviantgoods 18:03, 6 October 2006 (UTC)
- The article even mentions that "Portainer" is a registered trademark. Wouldn't it be better to have gantry crane as the name of the main article and have portainer redirect there instead of the other way around? --Denvesletigeren 09:59, 17 October 2006 (UTC
- There should be main article for gantry cranes, so I've put together a stub and moved the bits there that belong in it, while keeping this article for the specialised portainer cranes. With some clarifications. Improvements to the Gantry cranes article welcome. ..dave souza, talk 18:20, 19 October 2006 (UTC)
- Getting back to Denvesletigeren's first point can we move this article to Container Crane and have Portainer redirect to it? Liebherr and ZPMC (the largest manufacturer) both use 'Container Crane' as Portainer is a registered trademark!. And if this was a popularity competition "container crane" gets 74,200  and portainer gets 11,000 . After all we have photocopier and not xerox or xeroxing. - Ctbolt 09:18, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
- Done - Ctbolt 10:48, 17 March 2007 (UTC)
I have a question, will this brochure help with this article? here is the link https://www.liebherr.com/shared/media/maritime-cranes/downloads-and-brochures/brochures/lcc/liebherr-container-cranes-brochure.pdf Richzy1992 (talk) 21:44, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
Do these qualify as cranes?
I recently took some pictures at the rail yard in Seattle's Sodo district & uploaded them to Commons in Commons:Category:Container terminals and Commons:Category:Railway cranes (as well as a geographic category), but I'm not sure these are properly "cranes". I'm guessing that someone working on this article can help me on that point. - Jmabel | Talk 06:10, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
- Looking there (& in the relevant commons categories), I think maybe "overhead traveling cranes" is more correct. - Jmabel | Talk 20:28, 15 July 2008 (UTC)