|WikiProject UK geography||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
That's the first time I've ever heard anybody refer to the valley containing Edale as 'Hope Valley'. Among the Sheffield and Manchester visitors to the peak district I know, everybody goes by the names as printed on the OS map:
- 'Hope Valley' is the valley of Peakshole water and the Noe river, from Castleton at the head to (approximately) where the Noe joins the river Derwent at Bamford.
- 'Edale' or more commonly 'the Vale of Edale' is the northerly valley, the other side of the great ridge from Castleton.
Any other opinions out there? --VinceBowdren 20:18, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
- I agree with you (and I'd also dispute that the valley containing Castleton is a "small valley-end"); I think the article is misleading. Dave.Dunford 06:57, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
- I don't entirely agree. Edale is at least as much part of Hope Valley as is Grindleford, say. Hope Valley does not exist, so its boundaries are difficult to determine. Edale has Hope Valley as its post town and its telephone exchange, and its railway station is on the Hope Valley Line. Also, the local comprehensive school is Hope Valley College. If Hope Valley were a city, Edale would be a suburb! But it's not, of course. So I agree that Edale is not in Hope Valley as much as Hope and Brough are. And maybe Bamford is more Hope Valley than Castleton, but what of Ladybower and the upper Derwent? Castleton is no doubt more Hope Valley than Edale, but is Edale more Hope Valley than Hathersage, or Grindleford. All of these places, and the Snake Pass Inn on the A57 as well, are in Hope Valley as far as the Post Office is concerned. And when you turn up the Edale Road from Hope, how far along the road do you travel before you are in Edale? It is about 2 miles to the parish boundary, but does Edale begin before or after that? And is that where the Hope Valley ends?--ARAJ 01:57, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
I've never heard this term used, except in the geographical sense of the valley of the River Noe, where "valley" is likely to be uncapitalised. Google is unreliable, but on 20070131 a search on "noe-valley derbyshire -physical-therapy" yielded an estimated 424 hits, some of which are Wikipedia, or extracts thereof. Compare this with 899 for "edale-valley...", 596 for "vale-of-edale..." and 82,100 for "edale...". The truth is, the term "Edale" is used for the valley as a whole as much as the settlements in it, contrary to what the article states. A straight comparison between "edale-valley" and "vale-of-edale" shows the former is actually used more than eight times more frequently (9,730 vs 1,170), despite the "official" influence of the Ordnance Survey! --ARAJ 01:57, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
While I was making a few minor edits I saw there were a couple of paragraphs that were somewhat misplaced.. the one about the youth hostel, etc, and the one about transport. I've created a new section "Amenities" and put the two paragraphs there. I think there could be more changes to improve the organization of the article, including perhaps a section devoted to The Pennine Way, etc, but I will have to leave that for somebody else to take a look at. JH49S (talk) 01:05, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on Edale. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091024123831/http://www.natureonthemap.org.uk:80/map.aspx?map=sssi to http://www.natureonthemap.org.uk/map.aspx?map=sssi&feature=1002805,sssi,HYPERLINK,LABEL
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20120427052331/http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1002805.pdf to http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1002805.pdf
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/looking-after/npa/members/memberdetails/tony-favell
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.