|WikiProject Games||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Computing / Software||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
I have just created this article, and it is not intended to be a repost of the recently deleted List of Go software. The articles List of free Go programs and List of internet Go servers are both also up for AFD, and I fully support deleting them. Such list are not within the purpose of Wikipedia.
This article intends to replace the above three articles with a comprehensive overview of what types of Go programs there are, what their purpose is and how they can support players of the game. It serves as the main article link for the section 'Software Assistance' under 'Computers and Go' in the main article on Go. The article is not intended to provide links to such programs, unless required by the text. The notes section only provides outside links to authoritative websites in the field that do provide lists of links, such as Sensei's Library, the American Go Association and the British Go Association. HermanHiddema (talk) 23:37, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
- I'm curious why folks care about deleting these articles. The analogous chess engine page (and subsidiary pages on specific programs such as Crafty) has never been so controversial, and it is a far greater target for commercial spam since the English-speaking chess market is so big. --IanOsgood (talk) 14:55, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
- I don't much care, but it is simply true that such list are clearly in violation of WP:EL and WP:NOT#DIR and are vulnerable to WP:SPAM. The same is true for the section of the chess engine article. Having a general page on what a chess engine is is good, having a huge amount of links is bad and vulnerable to WP:SPAM, and should, IMO, be deleted. I have created this article, as well as Category:Go software, Internet Go server and IGS Go server to replace those lists and provide actual encyclopedic content. KGS Go Server also already exists. Both the KGS and IGS article are not candidates for deletion unless they run afoul of WP:Notability or perhaps WP:SPAM or WP:COI. HermanHiddema (talk) 21:34, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
You know, it just seems sad when people care more about Wikipedian political correctness than actually helping people. The list of Go programs helped so many people find Go software that gave them much enjoyment. Now it's gone. It feels like Wikipedia is being taken over by article correctness Nazis who are destroying all the fun and enjoyment that Wikipedia used to be. RIP Wikipedia. Westwind273 (talk) 05:19, 28 March 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Go software. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100127065951/http://www.goknot.eu.com/ to http://www.goknot.eu.com/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080120120057/http://panda-igs.joyjoy.net/java/gGo/ to http://panda-igs.joyjoy.net/java/gGo/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20080119125132/http://home.gna.org/quarry/ to http://home.gna.org/quarry/
- Added archive https://archive.is/20130113081322/http://rubygo.rubyforge.org/ to http://rubygo.rubyforge.org/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.