Talk:Jewish National Homeland
COPIED FROM: Talk:Balfour Declaration, 1917:
Jewish National Homeland?
Why is there a page :  that redirects Jewish National Homeland to this article? The Balfour Declaration never mentions the word "homeland", it says: a "national home" -for the Jewish people. In my mind there is quite a difference between home and homeland -just check that wonderful source: Wikipedia! Shouldn´t this redirect just be deleted? Huldra 23:35, 7 October 2005 (UTC)
- Why would one want to delete it? Of what benefit would that be? Jayjg (talk) 03:53, 9 October 2005 (UTC)
- It is a commonly used concept. Perhaps redir to Land of Israel would be more appropriate? ←Humus sapiens←ну? 06:24, 9 October 2005 (UTC)
- My interest here comes from doing a major edit on White Paper of 1939. There you had statements like: "Even though the White Paper stated that it was committed to the Balfour Declaration, [...] it was a significant defeat for the Jewish side who viewed this as a great betrayal of British promises for a Jewish National Homeland in Palestine." . Most confusing, IMO, when both linked to the same. And really; how many people think of the Balfour Declaration when they hear the expression "Jewish National Homeland"??
- That it is a commonly used concept and that it should have an entry in Wikipedia: that is fine with me. If you guys think that a redir to Land of Israel covers the concept; well, that´s also fine with me. An alternative is, of course, to write something on the Jewish National Homeland page (i.e. no redir at all) about the consept (possibly with a: See also Land of Israel + any other relevant link) Huldra 08:03, 9 October 2005 (UTC)
- I just did a quick check: there are several articles that use the Jewish National Homeland -link, and in all (as far as a could see) the redir to the 1917 Balfour Declaration is absurd (quite funny at times, but absurd :-) ), see:
- Bilu: "..was a group of Jewish idealists aspiring to settle in the Land of Israel with the political purpose to establish Jewish National Homeland there."
- Jewish Legion: "..When Britain waged war against the Ottoman Turks, during World War I, Zionists around the world saw it as an opportunity to promote the idea of a Jewish National Homeland." (this one actually isn´t completely crazy)
- Leon Pinsker: "...His analysis of the roots of this ancient hatred led him to call for the establishment of a Jewish National Homeland, either in Palestine or elsewhere." (???)
- Zionist terrorism: "...In the 1930s and 1940s, during their campaign for a Jewish national homeland," (..a bit late, weren´t they?) (just noticed: this last one linked direct to the Balf. Decl.: totally absurd..)
- Actually: I think the conclusion here must be that a simple redir to Land of Israel probably will not do: you can then get (e.g. under Bilu) sentences which in effect say: "...aspiring to settle in the Land of Israel with the political purpose to establish the Land of Israel there." So: hopefully somebody will write something sensible on Jewish National Homeland´ page. Hey, just saw that Humus sapiens wrote the redir in the first place...Ahem..... Huldra 12:17, 9 October 2005 (UTC)
- Well, I just have to copy the rest from Talk:Balfour Declaration, 1917: "Ok: I have rm the redir on the above page, and I´ve copied this discussion into Talk:Jewish National Homeland. Any discussion about JNH should continue there. The JNH article is at the moment quite slim: a headline and a "see also: Land of Israel". I´m not going to work on that article: I´ll leave that to those who made it in the first place! Regards, Huldra 08:31, 11 October 2005 (UTC)"
- In other words: I have no idea about what to put in a stub. (And I do think that those who created it should clear it up.) If the page is just deleted then there will be quite a few "red" links (see above), but perhaps that is better? Then people will at least know that work needs to be done? Please tell me what you think is best. Regards, Huldra 16:26, 11 October 2005 (UTC)