Talk:Musical depictions of Superman
|This page was nominated for deletion on 11 August 2007. The result of the discussion was nomination withdrawn.|
Wow! what a mess--Vircabutar 08:50, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
Alright, this list could easily be arranged into something readable. I started trying it like this (below), but I dont really like using the two dashes like this. If anyone likes this setup, put it in and continue for the rest of the list. But I don't wanna go though the whole thing if someone has a better way to arrange it:
- BAND NAME – "SONG NAME" — REFERENCES TO SUPERMAN, ETC
- 3 Doors Down – "Kryptonite" — "If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
- AC/DC – "What's Next to the Moon" — several references
- Laurie Anderson – "O Superman"
- Bad Religion – "Do What You Want" — mentions name
- Lazlo Bane – "Superman" — theme song to the TV series Scrubs
- Miguel Bosé – "Super, Superman"
- The Australian gospel choir Cafe of the Gate of Salvation – "Superman's Prayer" — on their album A Window in Heaven
- DJ Claudio Cecchetto – "Gioca Jouer" — "Superman!" is one of the "commands" and subsequent dance routines in this late 1970s italian comedy-disco track
- The Clique – "Superman" — the band's first recorded song in 1969, later made famous when R.E.M. covered it on their 1986 album Lifes Rich Pageant
- The Crash Test Dummies – "Superman's Song" — the band's first hit single, sung like a funeral dirge. The song compares Superman to Tarzan. It continues with the lament that he kept fighting despite sadness and fatigue, and that "the world will never see another man like him."
- The Robies – "Superman" — an MP3 hit
- Jim Croce – "You Don't Mess Around with Jim" — has a chorus warning the listener to avoid various dangerous activities, one of which is "You don't tug on Superman's cape."
--184.108.40.206 00:41, 28 July 2006 (UTC)
- Re: the Laurie Anderson song, I've moved it to the "maybe" section for the time being. Can anybody actually provide a clear reference indicating that "O Superman" is actually about the comic book hero? Given my knowledge of the song, that's not obvious; it could very easily be playing off Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of the ubermensch. Bearcat 23:14, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
Shouldn't this page be titled "List of Superman-related popular music"? Alba 16:41, 27 September 2006 (UTC)
How about sorting the songs by broad genre (Rock/Pop, Country, etc.), then subsorting either alphabetically or by year? N Norder 00:14, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
What about sorting them by type of reference, or even if it's a reference at all? Some songs seem to just have titles alluding to Superman, others are actually about Superman, others are about Christopher Reeve, and some are just visual references like the Streisand album. It seems like this is partially in the article already ("the subtle Superman connection" section) but then it just goes back to being a list and talks about Three Doors Down. Hornbreaker 14:11, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
- I agree, and am trying to start sorting this list. My ideas is to separate into songs about Superman (ie. Superman is the subject of the song), songs referring to Superman (Superman is mentioned but the song is about something else), and other references (everything else). I don't really like these headings, but they'll have to do for now -- any suggestions? I think many/most of the entries will end up under Other right now, as most of the songs do not have much supplied detail. –Dvandersluis 05:33, 24 February 2007 (UTC)
How about a table?Eoghanzer 05:40, 2 July 2007 (UTC)
Did someone once-over this article with a point gun?
Musical depictions of Superman
Now that the size and scope of this article has been vastly reduced to a more manageable level, should it be brough back into the Superman in popular culture article or does it still stand on its own? Rhindle The Red 12:46, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
- Merge There seems to be enough room here and the other looks so lonesome by itself. I think it fits nicely. -- Cheers, :) Dlohcierekim 20:23, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- Merge It totally belongs here. -Rocket000 08:47, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
- Merge - It's not a long section and really belongs here. --Lendorien 14:06, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
- I have done the merge based on consensus. --Lendorien 14:14, 10 September 2007 (UTC)