Talk:Shireland Collegiate Academy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Smethwick Hall School[edit]

It was never known as Smethwick Hall, that's a totally different school a couple of miles away. It was however called Shireland Modern.82.26.80.211 (talk) 13:52, 16 June 2009 (UTC)

That's right, My Dad went there in the 40's. It was called Shireland Hall too not Smethwick Hall. 82.26.93.2 (talk) 11:16, 17 June 2009 (UTC)

Ethnic Origin[edit]

There seems to have been a lot of talk in the revisions if this is a Muslim school or not. Or if it is only "Pakistani and Somalian" students This information is available (albeit in a fairly dense excel file) from the DFE website at:

http://www.education.gov.uk/inyourarea/results/ward_00CSFT_1.shtml

From the link at the right hand side named (School level census 2010). This lists the following:

Total Pupils 1260

206 (16%) White British 193 (15%) Indian 327 (25%) Pakistani 122 (9%) Black African 113 (9%) Black Caribbean

This accounts for about 75% of the population with the remaining 25% seemingly White Other (I'd guess eastern Europeans), Bangladeshi, Mixed races (Various) and unknown.

I've updated the Article (previously this was unreferenced) and added a link. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 94.6.69.87 (talk) 04:08, 21 October 2012 (UTC)

I'm really surprised by these figures, I live across the road from Shireland and can honestly say I've only seen 6 or 7 white pupils over the last few years. The majority of children are Pakistani/Muslim's, certainly more than 25%. 86.149.152.38 (talk) 16:30, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

Seems to be the case as these are official government figures, I guess we could go hunting for the 2011 figures and see if there has been a change. I highly doubt 2012 figures are available yet. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Gfaux (talkcontribs) 10:13, 30 October 2012 (UTC)

I totally agree, the last few days I've seen a couple of hundred pupils pouring out the gate in Waterloo Road and they've all been Asian or West Indian. 86.178.191.82 (talk) 18:25, 17 December 2013 (UTC)

I spoke to a teacher from Shireland only a few weeks ago asking about this subject. He confirmed that there are only 6% white pupils, with muslim being highest. 86.148.6.129 (talk) 17:19, 1 August 2014 (UTC)