|This redirect is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Why this should be a disambiguation page
It was quite clear from previous discussions that people were unclear about this term, so having this as a disambiguation page which explains all the different uses is the clearest solution - and as there are three different possible articles people might want to read. It still links to Tablet Personal Computer. -- Eraserhead1 <talk> 08:17, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- agreed, at the very least the term can be used for both the generic "Tablet PC", and the more specific "Microsoft Tablet PC", but its quite possible that the user is actually looking for any other ones of the upcoming tablet shaped personal computers, so "tablet computer" is a valid option too. Mahjongg (talk) 08:34, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Given there has been no justification of why this page should redirect to Tablet personal computer and given that it isn't clear that tablet personal computer is the WP:PRIMARYTOPIC I'm going to return this to a redirect if there are no further objections. -- Eraserhead1 <talk> 18:31, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed "Microsoft Tablet PCs are pen-based, fully functional x86 PCs with handwriting and voice recognition functionality." An iPad is not a tablet PC. Before the term iPad was used and I heard about the upcoming "Apple Tablet" I thought it was be laptop running MacOSX with touch, not an oversized phone. Sadly disappointed. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 08:59, 19 March 2016 (UTC)
Why this should redirect to Tablet Personal Computer
Tablet PC stands for Tablet Personal Computer, just as PC stands for Personal Computer. There are no links to "Computer" or "Wintel" or even "IBM PC" on the PC disambiguation page. Therefore, there shouldn't be any on the Tablet PC either and Tablet PC should simply redirect to what it means: Tablet Personal Computer.
There is no confusion here -- except to those who think the iPad should be included with the Tablet Personal Computers. Fortunately these people don't really write in reliable sources. The myth that Tablet PC might mean something else than a portable personal computer is dispelled when searching for Tablet PC on Amazon: all results titled as "Tablet PCs" are Tablet Personal Computers. No iPads, no Kindles, not any other portable media appliance that doesn't adhere to the personal computer definition. Same finds on e-Bay: electronics.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Tablet+PC&_sacat=293 Tablet Personal Computers only -- and especially Androids, not a single shred of evidence of a Tablet PC that is not a Tablet Personal Computer. Also no "Microsoft Tablet PC" on either search (and why should they? Microsoft Tablet PC is a specification not a product like Tablet PCs). It is obvious from the above that users (even eBayers) are not confused.
There is no reason to lead users to anything else than Tablet Personal Computer when they are looking for Tablet PC. "Disambiguating" Tablet PC to anything else than Tablet Personal Computer leads to confusion instead of clarification.
- The issue is that some people would refer to tablet PC as only referring to the Microsoft product as Arstechnica do here, and its also possible that people would be confused with tablet computers in general, as there are lots of articles talking about tablet PC's and iPad interchangeably - such as TechRadar. -- Eraserhead1 <talk> 17:21, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- I find it that there's only four kinds of computers in this world. Fifth computer type is going to appear maybe in 20 years. These five are Super Computers, Mainframes, Mini Computers, Personal Computers and yet still generally unborn Nano Computers. Each and every of these master top categories include various subtypes of computers. Tablet Computers belong under Personal Computers. But there's a two ways to view it. You can classify tablets by OS or by formactor or by intended way of use. I'd support system where tablets are own bigger subcategory of their own. Equal to laptops, home computers, workstations, etc. And that itself forms one large general article about all kinds of tablet computers. Under that article there should be at least two other equal general device articles about types each of their own. We should reach agreement what to call each tablet types and what are tablets are at all? I find it that tablets are subcategory of laptops and netbooks. Natural continuation of development. But like we all know. It's not the only development direction. There's these other kinds of tablets which are natural continuation of touch based personal mobile computers aka. hi-end smartphones. I think that tabletPC generally refers to all kinds of tablets since all of them are personal computers like I described. iPad is a personal computer as much as Windows-based desktop is. They run just different operating system. Wrost and stypidiest thing we could do here is to separate things the intended way of use. And it's sad to see it happening here right now. It's just a software based racism. ie. Macintosh computers are PCs. And even more so they are now IBM/Intel-based PCs these days. Amiga is a PC. C=64 is a PC. iPad however is continuation of this mobile trend class. I don't see it as a actual tablet as much as I see it as a interactive multimedia device which lacks almost everything which makes it a tablet since it doesn't even have pen recongintion cababilities. Original intention of tablets was to replace paper notebooks and lecture papers. For example waitress would be able to write orders to screen using it, student would be able to draw and write naturally onto it's screen, and it would enable various other interactions not possible because of the physical restraints of the classical notebook/laptop/mobile computers. --Mikitei (talk) 09:40, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
3rd Opinion Request
I'm here in response to the request for a third opinion on WP:3O. Unfortunately I must decline the request as there are already more than two participants involved in this discussion. You might like to consider using WP:RFC to get some more uninvolved people to look at the issue. Thparkth (talk) 16:22, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
Change back to redirect
- It should be a disambiguation page because "Tablet PC" is the common name for Microsoft Tablet PC, though most uses of the phrase "tablet PC" refer to tablet computers in general. –Pnm (talk) 20:15, 8 December 2011 (UTC)