Talk:Tar paper

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Re the suggestion that 'Roofing Felt' gets merged with 'Tar paper': Is tar paper the primary term? I know you'd get blank looks here in the UK if you asked for that instead of roof felt. Also, I notice in a googlefight, there's 1.3m entries for 'roof felt', versus 388k for 'tar paper' (UK only). On google as a whole, those figures are 18m vs 13m; and an awful lot of those pages are worded like so: 'roofing felt (tar paper)' or 'felt paper (tar paper)' (ie the 'felt' usage is primary). I also had a look at US online suppliers like - no listing for tar paper, but plenty of roofing felt. In short, I think the merge should go the other way! Bazzargh 12:35, 12 July 2006 (UTC)

Merge with Roofing Felt[edit]

My understanding is that Tar paper is impregnated with bitumen whereas Roofing Felt is usually a Polyester or Glass Fibre Fleece base that is laminated with a bituminous layer. This bituminous layer can then modified with polymers such as APP or SBS to produce High Performance roofing Felts.


The following paragraph looks a bit odd...

They are also incredibly lightweight, with signifant more strength, the initial product came out in the marketplace in 2003 by Interwrap Inc with its Titanium UDL 30. This felt also comes in the breathable variation, which allows water vapour to pass through the felt which, when used in conjunction with proper ventilation, helps minimize condensation in loft spaces.

I'm removing some of the adjectives which give the seemingly unnecesary emphasis. I've removed the reference to the company as well. nonick (talk) 12:31, 22 August 2008 (UTC)

Incorrect information[edit]

There is little information that is accurate or useful in the original entry or the subsequent comments. It confuses cotton rag felt with paper, coal tar with asphalt, steep-sloped roofing underlayments with low-sloped roofing base and cap sheets, and synthetic roofing underlayments with synthetic siding underlayments. It should be deleted in its entirety. "Tar paper" is an archaic term still used as builder jargon for asphalt-saturated building felt (building paper is asphalt saturated/coated kraft paper). There should be a section written for steep-sloped roofing underlayments, another one for siding underlayments/weather-barrier/air-barriers and another one for built-up asphalt roofing systems. They are not related in any relevant way. (Restreet (talk) 14:05, 15 December 2008 (UTC))

Moved information[edit]

This article confuses tar paper with asphalt felt paper and is unreferenced so I am moving information clearly related to asphalt felt paper to Bituminous waterproofing#Roofing felt. I believe tar paper is obsolete but I will research it. Jim Derby (talk) 01:22, 11 March 2014 (UTC)